Will salt kill grass??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mklawnman, Apr 15, 2003.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Was looking through an apartment complex today that I maintain and along all the sidewalks the grass is severly brown, almost looking like its dead. My only thought is that its brown looking because of the salt that was spread on the walks during the winter. And the after affects are showing. So should I rake the areas and get rid of the dead grass, and see what comes up or do I also need to reseed??
    THe company that plowed the complex did an ok of job this year, considering they cut a big area out of sod and all that is left is a cut in the lawn with the sod all the way across the parking lot, and also they ripped up the replanted area that we reseeded last summer and all the topsoil is accross the lot now too:mad:
    Looking to get the account next winter for plowing.:cool:
    Matt

2. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

salt will and does kill grass, rake out, top soil and seed to make sure new growth is healthy.

3. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Try flushing the area with plenty of water and yes salt will kill grass.

4. Salt can kill grass, now findout what amount it takes to do the job, is where the problem comes in.

5. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

YEah i know, cause today the complex president called, but didnt leave a message but wanted to talk with me, so I'm assuming thats what he's asking me about. I already have the contract for the season, but this will obviously have to be an extra thing besides spring clean up. Ill look it over more closely in the next few days if the weather holds up:rolleyes:
    Matt

6. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

yes

7. I was hoping this thread would tell me what to recommend to the customer to use instead of salt.
    It's some kind of fertilizer. But which kind? And does it leave a big mess inside the building when people track it in?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

8. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Salt kills big time. They need to use Magnesium chloride does much less damage to grass and concrete. You need gypsum if its bad to nutralize the salt along with fert and water a bit later.

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Yes it is very harmful to all pants and grasses. The old say of salting your enemies' fields ring a bell? Salt applied to grass is as beneficial as gas being applied to grass. You will have to start from scratch on the grass.

Gravely_Man

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup exactly what Arnold said..just flush it out big time and it will come back around