will sod grow in a shaded area

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Mar 10, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i have a customer that wants to get his back yard sodded.. but i don't see if really getting any sunlight do to the trees shade.. If i put down sod will it grow? if not what other options do i have? Thanks

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Man, that is totally a regional thing. I have no idea what kind of sod they grow around your area. But around where I live, all of the sod is 95% Perennial Ryegrass, which doesn't do well in full-shade. So we always have to seed those areas with Fescue blends.

A good way to find out is just start calling some local sod farms and ask if they have a product that works in full shade. They'll tell you for sure.

3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I have installed a fescue blend sod in a shaded back yard and it did very well.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

We use Confederate Blend Fescue sod in our area. 4 way blend of shade and full sun fescue. Works beautifully. Just a thought.

5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

We have a customer who has St. Augustines in a couple shaded areas, looks great.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Most sod will be stressed if planted in a shady area. Sod is grown out in a wide open field, getting full sun all day. Then you're gonna transplant that sun loving grass into shade? And expect it to do good? ha, ha!

Most turfgrasses need 3 to 4 hours of direct sunlight for optimum growth. Some grasses will do fair in heavy shade with reflected sunlight. Bluegrass sod planted in shade here will basically be bare dirt in two years.

There are some varieties of tall fescue that are more shade tolerant. Perhaps a sod grower there produces these for shady areas? Generally will get better success with seed, but need to use seed varieties that are shade tolerant. If heavy enough shade, and client needs grass there, you'll just have to seed once or twice a year. Young, freshly germinated grass always grows well.