Will sod smother sprouting crabgrass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by roaddogmm, Jul 29, 2004.

1. roaddogmm

roaddogmm LawnSite Member
    from Cary NC

I tilled my soil and prepared it 2 weeks ago. I was scheduled to install the sod last friday, but a lot of rain prevented the sod farm from cutting the sod.

I am going to install the sod tomorrow. In the last 2 days, tons of baby crabgrass is sprouting. It is too late to kill it with roundup. Will the sod( zoysia ) smother this new crabgrass?

Is there anything I can do at this point?

Thanks
    Mickey

2. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

Can you till again before you lay the sod. I dont know about the smothering. I would imagine if the crab grass (i hate that crap) could come up, then it will. The best way to beat crab grass is a thick, lush lawn kept at the recomended height or a little longer.

Try to avoid the roundup if your going to sod now. There is an organic way to kill crab grass - corn meal. I havent tried it but Ive read a lot about using that.

Good luck and let me us know how you make out.

3. roaddogmm

roaddogmm LawnSite Member
    from Cary NC

Unfortunately, there is no time for tilling it. The sod is getting delivered tomorrow, and will be installed tomorrow evening and some on Saturday morning.

I think the zoysia will keep the crabgrass out next year because it grows so thick, but I may have to deal with some coming up through the seams of the sod.