Will Stihl or Redmax head fit Echo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Jun 16, 2004.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm wondering if either of these heads fit Echo trimmers, as I've heard both Stihl and Redmax have spools with dividers running down the middle to keep trimmer lines separate.

This is something I need to do as I like to run Sufix line with my Edgit on an Echo. Without a divider, trimmer line fuses constantly with the Edgit, especially the Sufix line.
  2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I fit an echo head to my redmax trimmer and had to use an addapter that was supplied with the head kit I got from the home depot ( I bought 4 heads at $3 each on clearance). The addapter however set the line a little below the line cutter on the guard so I have to carefull not to bump feed to much line out.

I shoud have a couple extra addapters if you can't find them or if they don't come with the new head. Let me know if you need them.
  3. gadfreak

gadfreak LawnSite Member
    from nj

I put a redmax head on a green machine trimmer. No adapter needed. Check with your dealer. Thats what I did.
  4. premier lawn care

premier lawn care LawnSite Member
    from Tx

I've got several of those RedMax heads that are brand new, that I could sell you. We use the BCZ2600s and I change the head out w/ and Echo head before they get used. I use the Echo head because I've used Echo trimmers in the past and my guys know how to string them.
    PS RedMax heads and Echo heads have the same thread pattern.
  5. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

Stihl makes an adapter kit for the 25-2 head. I have three of them. Good luck getting your local dealer to sell you one though. My local dealers were not willing to help me two years ago when i was looking for the kit, so i drove 30 miles and bought one it from a dealer that would help. He just got my business three weeks ago when i picked up my new fs-250 WHAT A MACHINE THAT IS!!!!
  6. naturescape

Thanks TRex!, I'll let you know.

Kipper -- Does that Stihl spool have the divider down the middle to keep lines separated? If so, does it work well?
  7. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

Yeah it sure does and it makes the world of difference. I think that is the best trimmer head I have ever seen, maybe thats why i put one on my mtd pro, echo, and shindy.
  8. naturescape

I've looked at the Redmax & Stihl heads and hated them both. Too hard to remove the spool.....

Echo told me they make one with the divider. I ordered it and am waiting for it. I'll let you know how it is.
  9. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

How? You push it in and turn 1/2 in. then it pops out.
  10. naturescape

The ones I saw, both Stihl and Redmax, had tabs that had to be squeezed in, then the spool pulls out.

With the Edgit attached, the tabs are too hard to access.