will the 9000 do a exmark mulch blade

Discussion in 'Magna-Matic' started by PRO PROPERTY CARE, Nov 5, 2003.

1. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

Ok i switch back and forth form mulch too straight blades. I was looking at getting a sharpener. The 9000 will not do curvy blades. The exmark mulch blade is flat for the first appr. 3 inches. then curves up and flat again. Will the 9000 do the first 3 inchs (outside leading edge)...
    I believe someone mentined the rest of the blade doesnt cut much so only the first 2 or 3 inches matters.
    thanks for the help

mike

2. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello,

Yes, you are correct the MAG-9000 will do the first flat section of the blade, you can also do the furthest inner section as well. It is only that higher portion that the MAG-9000 cannot do.

Thank you,

3. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

great thanks.
    Its on my wish list for this winter...

mike

4. Craig T

Craig T LawnSite Member

If you know how to hand grind your better off getting a commerical belt sander with a 2" wide belt. That way you can sharpen the entire mulch blade (Exmark). There's no decated sharpener or bench grinder that can sharpen a blade like a sander.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Try the Rounded Table on the 8000 for eXmark Mulch Blades!

curvy2.jpg

6. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello All,

Yes as "Fareway Lawncare" mentioned and showed in his pictures, the MAG-8000 is the only dedicated lawn mower blade sharpener in the industry able to do the curved mulching blades.

Thank you,

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what's the msrp on the 8000? i assume the theory that the first few inches only does cutting only applies to standard blades since clippings getting mulched are flying around everywhere under the deck.

8. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

9. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, i think that you are partially correct. I think the upper part RE-cuts but really doesnt do much initial cutting. It is nice to keep it sharp as well.

My issue is that when you FIRST buy a mulch blade the first "wave" if you will on the slant upper corner seems much higher that we are doing ourselves. For example the blades shown above has a nice gentle slope to it. There must be some reason they created the inital high slope. Just a thought though.

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I sharpen my curved blades on a lesco grinder with no problem, for the raised part I stick two knuckles under the blade to tilt it and get the same angle thats on it then lay it flat for the edge and angle the blade to sharpen the sloped part