Will there be a residential market in the future?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Aug 31, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

With the rising costs of fuel people will start scaling back and saving money anyway they can. The price of goods and services are increasing much faster then peoples salaries. I think over the next few years we will see a big decline for residential mowing of average working/middle class homes. I know fuel has skyrocketed due to the hurricane and fuel will come down in 6-8 weeks. But we also all know that fuel will continue to rise every year and it wont be long before $3.50 a gallon is the normal going rate.

2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not worried. :)

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It would then be called inflation and salaries would rise as well.

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't think there will be much a commercial market before a residential market, only due to the fact that the big companies are getting bigger and cheaper...

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

they would be forced into "level b " service, at a reduced rate

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is deja vu from Mad Max's Road Warrior - Guys driving 8-cylinder 50-gallon tank GAS guzzlers at 120mph all over the countryside ALL the while complaining about the problem with petroleum....

I was at the Wawa today getting coffee and despite the cost of fuel I can assure you there was NO shortage of people willing to PAY for it! There was a LINE of cars just waiting and with 32 pumps there must've been 60 or 70 cars all hogging or trying to hog the nozzles, yes, at $3/gallon LOL !

SUV's, sports cars, everything you can think of not just waiting but IDLING their motors in order to WASTE more fuel, it was disgustingly beautiful.

Then I went by McDonald's and parked my truck and took a mental image of the LAST car waiting in drive-through as I went inside (must've been around 9 cars, ALL of them of COURSE with the motor RUNNING) ... Got my food, paid for it, went back outside in my truck, ATE the food and was on my way before said LAST car had even reached the window, the line had gotten NO shorter and you could just SEE the blissful ignorance (or is it inherent innocence) of those SAME people complaining later about the price of it all.

But yet it IS beautiful because in all this sloth and waste there exists satisfaction in KNOWING people LIKE to be pampered so they can sit on their lazy PHAT BUTTS while WE sweat ours off for more of that precious money.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, I only see these increases as the price of gas adjusting to salaries that have soared in recent years. I am very well aware that wages in some areas of the country have hardly budged in years but salaries have gone up for the most part.

8. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

if salerys are going up how come minum wadge is still $5.15????? wages are not going up near as fast as the prices to live is.. you know another funny thing is most of the people charge there gas and who knows if they pay there credit card bills on time... in the end only the working poor class will end up suffering the most like always... and 80% of the people i know are working poor and 10% are in poor poverty class.. 10% anre in class above working poor... this is the new chart for people who did not know.. there is not a poor, middle, and upper no more. it is a 5 class now and beleave me most of us are in the working poor group and we suffer

9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I think there will be an even greater residential market in the future. People are working more and more. The more people work, the less time they have to do chores like lawn maintenance. :cool2:

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah cuz they gotta work MORE so's they can pay 4 the gas to burn so then they get a 2nd job and REALLY don't got time for the lawn LOL