1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Will this do the job?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ubirajara83, Feb 21, 2007.

1. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

2. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

you should be able to sharpen mower blades with it no problem but not hedge trimmers you need a file for that
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to be able to sharpen your blades much faster and easier than with that, get their 3" hand angle grinder. For 15-20 bucks, you cant get hurt,m and you will get alot more use out of it. Normally, I would recommend a bench grinder over the angle, but for the particular bench grinder we are talking here, this will be MUCH MUCH too slow.
  4. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

sorry it didn't pay much atteton i just looked breifly at it and thought it was a bench grinder. As ground control stated i also would recommend a brench grinder.
  5. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I have gotten excellent results by using a $70 made-in-China Home Depot 8" grinder. Once you get the technique down, you can grind out a really nice, sharp edge on mower blades.

I have owned the more expensive blade grinders and I'm actually satisfied with the $70 grinder.
  6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Don't buy that piece of crap. Personally, I have used both angle grinders and bench grinders. I like the bench grinder better because you can adjust the speed. Angle grinders (for me) are way to fast and heat the blade too easily. I bought a Delta bench grinder from Lowes for around $100. It does a great job. If you can afford it though, I would get a dedicated blade grinder. I don't think you can beat the edge you can put on a blade with something like a Magna-matic. My tool rental guy has one and he can sharpen a blade nearly razor sharp.....at least knife sharp. I rented a brush cutter from him a while back and the he had the blade on that thing so dang sharp when I thought it might have cut me when I touched the blade. Ever since then I have wanted a dedicated blade sharpener.
  7. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree with Grits on this one just get a blade grinder. But it depends on how many mowers/blades you got. If you got anymore than 4 I'd ge a blade grinder, if not just get a bench or angle grinder which you will probably need in the future anyways.

By the way that bench grinder you post is a pile. If your looking into something like that get a Delta you won't go wrong with it.
  8. ubirajara83

isnt what i posted a bench grinder? If not how can i tell the diff.
  9. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

10. ubirajara83

ok this doesnt help me. if you took the time to write no you could of taken a few more seconds to write me something useful