Will this harm my mower or its engine?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mr.Ziffel, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

If I hook the front of my deck to a hoist and lift it until the entire mower is standing on end will the engine or hydraulics have a problem?

I want to get good access to the deck of my 72" Toro ZMaster with 27Kawasaki LC engine. Of course I would make sure all caps are screwed on tight and plan to make sure there is very little gas in it, but it has the coolant tank and hydraulic tank and I don't want to have a problem.

This seems to be an easier way to access the underside of the deck for a good cleaning and repaint but I'd appreciate any of you experienced mechanics sharing your concerns or knowledge. Thanks, Will M>

2. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, is this going to risk filling his muffler with oil? Hydros should be ok.
    You may want to drain oil and filter, if applicable before proceeding, especially if it will be up for a while.

3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Hadn't thought specifically about 'filling the muffler' but had a vague unease in the back of my mind. A great time to do this would be as I do annual service so I could completely drain oil and filter before I lift, then refill when done. Will M>

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would have been more concerned with oil seeping past the rings and filling the cylinders full, Also remove your air filter as the fuel left in the carb. float bowl will drain all over it.
    As Jim said the hydro. system should be fine, Just watch the fill cap for leakage.

5. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

You 're Going To, Lift Your Mower By The Front Of Your Deck, With A Hoist To Get, "To The Bottom Of Your Deck Better To Clean It".
    You Are What We Call A DUMB Person. You Can't Lay Your Self On The Ground And Work On It There. If You Need More Room. You Jack The FRONT of the Mower Up, On The Frame,you may need two jack, first BLOCK the back tires, Use JACK STANDS To Support The Frame! Before You Get Under It! Or TAKE THE DECK OFF!! Coming Up With A Idea Like This,how Have You Made it This Long!!! he said "i will make sure all caps are screwed on tight"

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No No Noseha..you see if he does it that way

He Won't Have To Lay On The Ground At All !!!

So Who Is The Dumb One Here?

Please Don't Use The Word "We" When You mean "You".

7. Jim@MilkyWay

Noseha, are you _absolutely certain_ your idea is the best way for a complete clean-up and paint job of the under-deck?:confused:

8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

paint job under your deck, i forgot about that! tell me what color is the best for under your deck?

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

noseha, don't you think an apology is in order first?

10. Jim@MilkyWay

What does that have to do with such a dumb comment?:confused: