Will this lack Power compared to.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TierOneLawnCare, Aug 24, 2006.

1. TierOneLawnCare

TierOneLawnCare LawnSite Member

I currently own a HD, Ryobi SS30 32CC Trimmer and I am looking at the Redmax TR2300-S but its only rated at 21CC....Will the Redmax lack power over my Ryobi? I know the quality is better (I only do lawn care 1 day per week) but will the power be there in this Redmax Model?

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    Compare h.p.'s, not cc's. And also compare "throw-away" brands vs. commercial units.

-MW

3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Outstanding points, Mark - as always!!!!!:usflag:

4. TierOneLawnCare

TierOneLawnCare LawnSite Member

Ryobi is rated at 1.0HP and Redmax at .95.......errr, I guess I better go with a bigger trimmer

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, what Mark said!

I guess the "CC" rating of a small engine is just that, how much volume there is in the cylinder. Bigger number = more power? Well many think so, and it sells a TON of cheapo trimmers and blowers...

A 21 cc echo will outpreform a 32 cc mtd, ryobi, bolens, ect. in every catagory. I'm not pushing echo here, just using it as an example since echo is popular.

1 hp and .95 hp... you need to compare SIDE BY SIDE, then you will see the difference in torque, power, and responsiveness.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Even the lowest CC commercial machine willl be a giant step above a homeowner machine.

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

21cc Redmax is only .95HP? Is that right? I am no familiar with Redmax.

I know the 21cc Tanaka is 1.1 HP :)

8. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Good catch - I should have said compare commercial trimmers h.p.'s (I can never win when I try to interject on LS - u guys are tough!:hammerhead:

For example, the Tanaka TBC-225 is a 21 cc, 1.1 h.p. commerical grade trimmer for the homeowner. It's "cost-down" areas are no anti-vibe at the engine/shaft and a 4" tap head instead of a 5". However, it has the same high quality engine components as the TBC-230.

-MW

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

ryobi is garbage. i went through 4 in one season my first year. get the red max and you won't have to worry about anything for a long time to come.

10. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

i agree. the ryobi is garbage if used commercially. it is only good for a homeowner. i went thru 1 this year in only 1 month. go with the commercial trimmer or you'll be sorry.