1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Will this pesticide affect seeding?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by RicVa, Aug 31, 2005.

1. RicVa

RicVa LawnSite Member

I normally am not an advocate of broadcasting pesticides, because I think that most "pests" balance the ecosystem out in one way or another. But, I currently have a lot of spiders in my lawn. There are at least two different types of good size, if not more. I have two children under 2 1/2 years of age, and a dog, and I do not want anyone getting bit by a spider.

I am considering applying Ortho Max Insect Killer for Lawns. The active ingredient is Bifenthrin. My question - Will applying this pesticide in any way impact my seeding planned for 2 1/2 weeks from now? There is nothing on the label or website that indicates that it would impact seeding.

I've also heard that having this amount of spiders could be a sign of something else like grubs, but I have seen no evidence of grubs.
  2. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Bifenthrin will not effect your seeding. Insecticides are safe to use when establishing a lawn. It is the herbicides you need to be careful with.