Will this void my HP warranty?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by TurfPro, Jul 24, 2003.

1. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

I've wondered if adding an aux trans cooler to my HP's hydro system would void the warranty. The reason I ask is it's been in the high 90's+ and I figured a cooler would extend the hydro systems life.
    If it won't void it,what style do you all reccomend?
    Thanks again

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Turpro,

Adding a cooler isn't necessary nor will it void the warranty.

Here's the scoop. If adding the cooler creates a failure that would not be covered. If adding a cooler doesn't create a failure but there's a failure down the road the factory warranty would still be in effect. You must look at the failure and what was the cause. If the cooler leaked (they sometimes do that) and you ran the system dry of oil cause a failure then that would not be covered. If something from the cooler or the installation caused debris to contaminate the system and that caused a failure then that would not be covered as well.

Sounds like a lot of what if's especially because it's not needed. If the system were getting hot enough to damage the fluid we would add one our selves. You can put on a whole bunch of coolers for the cost of just one pump or wheel motor.

The Mobil 1 synthetic oil is the key. The fluid can withstand temperatures in excess of 450 degrees for extended periods and temperature spikes of 650 degrees. Since the machine doesn't get hot enough to break down the fluid a cooler is not necessary.

It would be extremely rare that anyone would get the Lazer HP that hot.

Thanks

Terry

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of heat, just how hot do the hydro systems get? I know its hot enough that you don't want to touch the hydro filter about a 1/2 hour after mowing!!! I almost burnt my hand last hydro filter change! Now, something that hot can be just over 130 degrees to feel hot to the hand. Just wondering what temps were when testing the system at the factory. And is high speed running better or worse at making heat then putting around at 5 mph? Just wondering if running full tilt (10 mph) moves too much fluid too fast and heats it up more than just mowing at slow speeds.

I'll have to borrow my neighbors infared heat gun and snap a few readings while working someday.

4. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Good idea TLS,I have one of those heat guns but have yet to test the fluid temps after/during a "hard" days mowing.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TLS,

More speed can create more heat but that's not a real issue. What is a real issue is load, which creates heat and pressure.

If you bump the tires up against the curb and then jam the sticks forward you create load. When you try to pull a heavy trailer you create load. Adding excessive weight, steep inclines, pushing objects etc. all these add load. By themselves some of these various causes of load are not a real big issue either. If you begin to stack them up one on top of the other it's possible to create a great deal of load. You still won't create enough heat to begin breaking down the Mobil 1 but you will create some higher temperatures.

Actual operating temperature is going to vary a great deal depending upon the operator; terrain and load but most of us will easily exceed the 180 degrees most petroleum fluids are rated at. None of us will exceed the 450 degrees the Mobil 1 is rated at.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Terry