will this work? Good idea?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Aug 31, 2004.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my new work truck as you all know. Well its a 1/2 ton. what do you guys think about the idea of putting 3/4 or 1 ton leaf springs on it. Its going in the shop at a little mech shop to fix the hangers on the springs and put a Reese reciever on.He said he would put another leaf inbut what about just puttin some other ones on?

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I thinks it's a good idea especially if your trailers tongue weight is going to squat the back of your truck down. The only difference you might notice is a little rougher ride. I have a 3/4 ton pickup and honestly can tell very little difference in ride from my 1/2 ton.

3. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1500 dodge with 3500 series suspension in it. I can hold a crap load but it is real stiff when i comes to bumps.

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i've had an F150, and an f250. for me it was a world of difference in the ride. my 150 drove like a cadillac. my 250, well, my wife wanted to go for a drive a few times hoping her water would break....;)

5. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Your truck is as strong as your weakest link. Yes it will help if the tongue is really heavy. However things like your wheel bearings, your tires, your axel, your transmission are only made for a 1/2 ton pickup. I dont think the transmission is such a problem. The main thing you need to worry about if you change the leafs to pull more weight is your brakes. The main difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton truck is bigger brakes and bigger suspension. I know there are other chages but for the most part that is usually the only difference, especially with the older trucks. If you plan on pulling or carying more weight, plan on braking sooner and more frequent brake jobs. Wont help you in a panic stop though. Basically my main point is what ever is the lowest weight rating is your weakest link and thats your limit as to what you can carry. If you plan on carrying the same weight and just add a leaf for tongue weight you should be fine.

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If I am not mistaken, on my 3/4 ton there is couple of inches of travel before the extra leaf springs are enguaged. It rides really smooth unless I have my trailer hooked up or hit big bumps.

7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Different capacity of axles and bearings. You would not be able to carry the same weight as a 3/4 ton just because you put the heavier springs on it. Might even give you a false sense of security when looking at how the truck isn't sagging under the load. That coupled with the reduced stopping power, looks like an accident or an expensive repair bill waiting to happen. JMO With the differnece in price of a 1/2 and a 3/4 ton don't you think if the manufactures could get away with just putting heavier springs to up capacity they would be all over that.

8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I fully agree with Turf Medic. I would get a set of Timbrens, cheaper and just as effective. We have an 84 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 that we put 3/4 springs on the rear. We used to treat it like a 3/4 and it would haul anything, the only problem was the smaller differential, didn't take too long for the teeth to wear out.

9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

all great points guys. Thanx alot.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to just look into a set of Timbrens for it. You would have the best of both worlds. A softer ride, and greater spring capacity. What everyone is saying about the axle, brakes, bearings and such is a genuine concern, though. Know your limits, and use the truck wisely.
    Also, if it IS a sagging with the trailer issue, Timbrens are not the answer. Bigger springs would be more suitable. Timbrens wwill just help it from botoming out after it's already sagging. Bigger springs will keep it up in the first place, although it WILL affect your ride when empty.