1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Will to much Premergent kill Bermuda?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by North Ga, May 2, 2006.

1. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Its May and I still have alot of brown spots in my bermuda.I have alot of green but alot of brown,about 50-50.I wouldnt think this would cause it but figured I would ask anyways.
    Feb 1st I sprayed a premergent myself,well I started working in landscape with a company that has a Spray division.Well one of the purks for working with this company is all the employess get free spray service IF they want it.Of course I jumped all over it.About the end of Feb they sprayed my lawn with Stage 1 which also happened to be a premergent also.Could this be the reason why ive got a half brown lawn?

Im in North Ga.I dont have a sprikler system but I water it every other day.

Thanks in advance
  2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

With out knowing what was sprayed - your quess is as good as any one else's here.
    Actually obtain the active ingredient sprayed, not the trade or local name, amount AI in the tank, then ask the question again.
    As a general response, No - preemergent herbicide will not "kill" Bermudagrass, just stunt it a bit.
  3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I we only use granular Pre-Emergent and if it is not watered in there is a good chance of some burn. If the Pre-M is over applied or mixed wrong there could be some burn.
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

It needs to be fertilized now to get the growth moving. If the turf has not been mowed down (scalped) it will also take longer to greenup.

Preemergent herbicides (barricade, pendi, dimension) should not cause visible problems with your turf. But if it has been overapplied your root system could be stunted or damaged. This also depends on what preemergent was applied. Hopefully it wasn't Simazine, because it can delay greenup if applied too late. It is not normally used except during the dormant season.

Also if you sprayed a postemergent during the greenup time, that can also slow things down.
  5. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Yes applying phenoxy herbicides to Bermuda in transition can delay green-up especially if it was a Ester formulation. Ask the guy that sprayed what was in the tank but as far as the turf being permanently damaged I doubt it. We are talking about toughest grass on this planet right?
  6. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Thanks for the help.Im gonna talk to the spray tech and find out what was in it.Ill post the info tomm night.

VWBOBD LawnSite Member

Im Also In North Ga And Im Haveing To Mow Mine Every 3 Days, In My Neighborhood I Am The Only One Who Has Had Fully Green Bermuda For Over A Month. I Use Several Of The Jerry Baker Home Remedies . My Nieghbors Laughed At Me At First For Using Ammonia , Beer, Kayro, Coca Cola And Stuff Like That But As The Saying Goes:
    The Proof Is In The Pudding!! I Have Had This Gorgeous Lawn For All 3 Years Since I Have Been Useing Jerry's Tips. The Only Other Thing I Use On My Lawn Is Top Choice For The Evil Fire Ants We Have In Chatsworth