1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Will we lose March too?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Feb 23, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Just staring out at the 2 feet of now saturated heavy snow with more cold temps coming later this week.will take forever to melt even with higher sun angle..After the rough summer, wet fall and very early winter, it has been a challenging weather year. I fully expected to be out there getting started in early March. Anyone else out there in Snow Country think March will be a bust?
  2. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

We're in the same boat as you up here in NH. Still had over 18 fall cleanups left on the board when we got the cold and snow in Dec. Hoping to get out early this year too and get them started in March. Still had 3 ft of snow on the ground (just got another 22" last tuesday) and after this weekend's rain, still have around 2 ft. The snowpiles at my customers houses are about 10-12 feet high though from the whole years precip. Shooting for the middle but more likely the end of march to be hopeful.

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yes Mike I think maybe the 3rd week of March...this last year has tested our resolve thats for sure...there is allot of plant damage this winter...on top of the backed up fall cleanups we'll be working longer hours than we already do in spring
  4. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Yup, I think March will be a bust. Man are we all going to have to hustle. These yards are going to be a MESS!!!!!! Not looking foward to it that's for sure. Farmers Almanac is calling for another big storm here in NE for the first week of March and then cold temps. I WANT SPRING!!!!
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think March is probably the most unpredictable month of the year. It can be 20 degrees one day and 60 degrees another (even in the same week).

I kind of think it's gonna be a late Spring this year. And now they are calling for more snow on Thursday. Plow $$$ is nice, don't get me wrong, but enough is enough already.

At least all this precipation really put a big dent in that horrible drought we had last year. Guess I'll just roll with Mother Nature's punches...
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

All mine are leaf free and beginning to show signs of new growth............my Pear tree is budding out and the Camelias are lookin' good. Won't be long and the Azeala's will be showing their colors.

Should be 65-70 today and no snow in sight!

Got about 40 more accounts to get done by the end of the month if the rain will stay away.....you know, those year round deals------never get a break.

Sorry guys:D I just had to do that.

At least you get to experience a real winter:dizzy:
  7. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

You can kiss March goodbye out here in Massachusetts. Last year we were on our first job the 2nd week of March...two years ago our first job was the 2nd week of April...thats what im expecting for this year.

8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

9. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I sure hope we don't get to start till April. I'd take plowing over landscapeing ANY day. Plus i'm not ready to start, I need to go over all the equipment and I need to get a new crew, onr of my guys isn't coming back and another i'm not taking back. So keep praying for the snow boys :D
  10. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

March is not looking too good for us either. Last year we didnt start until the 2nd week of April! I hope it isnt that long this year.