Will we Quick owners get more info?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsaspire, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

Who thinks Gary Partridge should come on here and tell us about these proposed changes, and how they will help those of us who already purchased the current deck design? Show of hands: rolleyes:

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If he has any sense he won't say a word. And he would also find out who the big mouth is at the factory that keeps hinting at anything and tell them to shut up. Companies much bigger than BOP have tried to fix broken decks and failed. Hustler in the early 2000's. Dixie Chopper and their famed Silver Deck. And most recently Exmark and their Triton deck. All of these companies released fixes for their decks but none of them succeeded at it. And they all have large engineering departments.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you could always go to your dealer and complain........;)

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Look, I don't mean to come down on folks or to be rude or anything of that sort
    but it has always been my opinion that out of all the mowers out there, the Quick
    is simply the best of the cheap, but in the end it's still a cheap mower and that
    could be a part of it.

However...
    As was pointed out, evidently some of the more expensive machines experience these problems as well.

So it's just how it is, maybe you can find better but probably not, I guess.

On another note, I believe what you are experiencing is more commonly referred to as clumping,
    all mowers do it in tall / thick grass, all of them, there do exist ways and means in which to
    relieve this issue to certain degrees but these don't fall on the manufacturer, instead the
    responsibility falls on the owner so perhaps start looking into that?

Peace

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

From reading posts about these mowers it strikes me that BOP is a good company, but from the start I was concerned that the massive engineering resources to test the machines (especially air flow and the decks) extensively in all environments, real world, computer, and factory, probably did not exist. Maybe that would have prevented the need for a fix, maybe not. Part of having deep pockets like a bigger company is being able to sit on a new design for a year or so and tweak it, rather than needing to get cash flowing in by selling them asap.

But the most disturbing aspect of all this is that many new owners did other lawnsite members a big disservice by rushing out to praise the mowers w/o also pointing out flaws. Best case, in their eyes, they bought it, so it must be perfect. Or perhaps in some cases the type of person who buys such an inexpensive machine is new to this and lacks a lot of experience using mowers. He may not know what to look for in terms of flaws. Or, worst case, some might have been shills or had some sort of personal or other incentives to talk it up.

I was surprised at how many 100% positive "reviews" I was reading a couple years back. Having used several different designs over the years, I knew even my favorite designs always had some sort of flaws you could easily list. That is just part of the compromises inherent in mower design. So ironically the glowing tone and lack of almost any early negative feedback made me more hesitant to buy one, not less.

So, the real culprits in all this might be some of those who rushed out to sing its praises w/o mentioning that they had minimal commercial mowing experience and abilty to properly look for flaws, or if they had experience, they neglected to list those flaws out of ego issues ("I am perfect, I would never buy a machine that wasn't the best"), or that they hadn't really used it in all conditions.

I have been doing this a while. I've realized that some machines are good in some conditions, worse in others. Some cut nicely but have other issues. Hill holding, weight, comfort, reliability, etc are all important. But out of 4 large mowers I own, only one really cuts great in all conditions. So the odds of a company, right out of the gate, delivering that, plus low cost, was going to be a long shot.

PS. Topsites makes a good point. Clumping will happen with some types of grass and some conditions. Be sure you are getting feedback from someone who knows that clumping does happen, not just someone who saw clumps and declared the BOP mowers bad because of that. It could be the mower, it might just be the conditions.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Deck fix or no deck fix, for what I pd for my Quick Ninja, it has made me a bunch of money over the past several years regardless. Its cut is BETTER than that of my Z400 in std non-soaking wet conditions. If I have a lawn I want to do up nice, the Quick comes off the trailer not the Z.

That said, if new Quick releases do include a modified deck, I would definitely look at selling mine local and acquiring a new one that can handle dewy grass just a wee bit better.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Bruce you make a good point, and often people would ask about BOP and it pretty amazing that it gets all the good reviews, but you seem to see more BOPs for sale in the classified than any other machine...there has to be a reason...

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe so but at the same rate a lot of the guys were simply looking for a mower
    that wouldn't cost a fortune, first starting out it's not such a good idea to spend
    a lot of money anyhow so in that sense the Q36 is the perfect choice.

Does that mean it does everything perfect, no but then neither does my Toro, that is,
    which machine would you rather drop in the cement culvert, the $2000 Q or the $4g Toro,
    assuming both belong to you, which repair bill do you want to face?

So for a beginner, to learn how these machines act and react, you need to buy either a used machine
    or an inexpensive new one, unless you feel like dealing with damages to a 4-5-6000 dollar machine,
    the fact is we make the most mistakes when we are new in the business so my attitude always has
    been, let the new guys make these mistakes with a lower end machine.

The reason I mentioned the cheapness is because it is inexpensive, and it is built that way as well,
    it won't last as long as a higher dollar machine but then the price difference makes up for that,
    in the end we add in the mistakes and one should actually come out ahead because it's not that
    it's a bad mower but I do believe it will not measure up to higher priced models.

Insofar as technology, out of all the cheap garbage out there the Q does actually measure up in ways,
    meaning that the machine should get a newcomer through the first years whereas a lot of the other
    inexpensive mowers won't last the season, you see...

Kind of like a Briggs vs. a Kohler...

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  9. RDA

RDA LawnSite Member

Geez, I should have never said anything as I knew no one would have any patience about it, would start complaining or make ridiculous assumptions.

Regards,

Rich

10. MesaLawn

MesaLawn LawnSite Member

As a Quick 36 Ninja owner, I'd really love to hear about a mod that would help reduce clumping under the deck. Wonder if it will it be a kit you get from them, or parts you can make up yourself? I'd appreciate any recommendations, but I'm not going to hold my breath...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.