Will we retain this customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Sep 12, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The 2 main reasons we will drop a customer are because we are tightening our route, or else the customer all of a sudden starts going senile and wants to skip cuts. (we deal with a lot of elderly, and when I say senile, I'm not making fun)... anyhow... this is different, this time we dropped a client that we picked up this year because of late payments. We rarely deal with late payments cause the elderly pay quick, but this customer is not old, and late payments are not acceptable month after month. So in her last invoice I included a note saying that service was being terminated, blah, blah, blah, and the total was due immediately. BUT, we also service her mother who is a GREAT client and pays quickly. What are the chances that we will lose the mother, now that we stopped service at her daughter's house? It will be interesting to see how the mom will react. What has been your experience with this? Would hate to lose the mom as we already have a retaining wall scheduled with her this fall. Just throwing out a conversation.....

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I think I would have talked to the mother first and explained the situation. I had this problem and did that. She might have counselled her daughter into paying her bills on time. Nothing to lose since you were going to drop her anyway

3. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer that I picked up a couple of years ago,she was an older woman and she was on time and good about payments and my pricing ect.-well she asked me to do work for her daughter and it was the same story,late payments me sending notes,late fee's the whole nine yards until I received my final payment and dropped her.The mother must have taken her side because that was that,oh well. Obviously you have a 50/50 chance of retaining the mother-maybe she knows her daughter is a pita and you keep her.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Let me know how it goes...I have one customer that I think I'll have to take to Small Claims, and I do their parents who were one of my first clients and great people to work for.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

glad it worked out for you, but nah, I couldn't do that. if Charles didn't pay his electric bill, would you want the electric company calling up your mother and telling her that you make delinquent payments??? lol... now if she was a deadbeat and wasn't paying her bill at all, then ok maybe. but terminating service was good enough, I couldn't shame her.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I take it the daughter must be middle age? If thats the case I doubt you will lose the mother, I'm positive that when parents and kids reach a certain age they both do what they believe is right and have no influence on one another.
    That age is when the parents are elderly and the kids are late 40s early 50s

The mother believes paying bills on time is the right thing to do, the daughter does'nt.

7. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

If I was a betting person, and I am, I am betting that the mother will keep you. Unless they live close, or the daughter does not fess up to mom, she might never know. Even if she does find out, if she's any kind of a reasonable person, I would venture to guess that if she has been with you for any length of time that she would want to keep the services that she has been used to. People are funny though, you never know.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep us posted.

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have had similar situations never lost a parent. Should be no problem for you.

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Well what the daughter is going to do is lie to the mother and you may lose both.
    The mother I spoke to told me to send the bill to her and she would make sure her daughter made it a priority lol

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You'll keep the mother. I doubt a daughter, even a grown one will likely tell her mommy that she doesnt pay her bills.