Will weed killer still work even though cold?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by drugrep, Oct 27, 2005.

1. drugrep

drugrep LawnSite Member

I've got a few weeds still popping up, even though it's cold now in Chicago, will Roundup still work? I'd like to nail these so they won't be back in the Spring.

Thanks in advance.
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

spray-em! fall is the best time to get a complete kill and you wont have many weeds to contend with next spring.
  3. indyturf

from Indy

it might be a little cool for round up to work right now, watch the weather if we get a few days in the 70s spray it then and it should work.
  4. BigCity

BigCity LawnSite Member

Roundup is slower on broadleaf weeds than grasses, 3 way ester would work.
  5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Why spray 'em ?
    Winter will kill 'em soon
  6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

If the weeds are not brown by now, they will survive the winter and be back in spring. Roundup is still very effective.
  7. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Alot of folks are quick to say roundup. Did you mention whether the weeds were in the turf or not. Obviously DO NOT use roundup in the turf areas.
    Cold weather (hard frost) will kill all annual grasses and summer annual broadleaf weeds. It will slow the metabolism of periennial weeds. That means whether you use round up or a broadleaf weed control such as three way the plants will much more slowly as they will translocate much more slowly. Go ahead and spray the dandelions and clovers and other periennial weeds. Ignore the annuals their already dead they just don't know it yet.
  8. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Round up is GREAT for turf spray applications... make sure you cover the entire turf area being treated! I gaurentee a complete kill and nothing to come back next spring!
  9. drugrep

drugrep LawnSite Member

It's a vacant lot, so I'm not worried about killing the little grass that's there.

Why spray them? Some weeds are perennial.

I'm going to get everything on this lot killed and put down some KY Blue Grass.

I just don't think grass safe weed killers work very well, I'd rather kill everything and start with bare ground. Once I get the majority of it grass, I'll then use the "less effective" grass safe weed killers. Right now, there's just far too many weeds for me to put down grass seed.

I want to make it look as nice as I can until we can afford to build our house which is a good 2 or 3 years away.
  10. indyturf

from Indy

we built a house a few years ago, I sprayed the lot 3 or 4 times with round-up before and during the building process. after we moved in and got the lawn established we had very few weeds. so I would spray it now then again in the spring. then once a month spot spray anything green. also check out ebay for razor-pro, its the same as round-up but cost only $50 per 2 1/2 gal.