Will YELLOW PAGE collapse cause you pain ??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mdvaden, Mar 21, 2009.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Between people I talk to and feedback on the internet, I'm under the impression that the Yellow Pages may be on the verge of collapse just like some newspapers.

Comments I hear from people in our trade indicate that many green trade business owners are not thrilled with the Yellow Pages - what it yields in return for the investment.

At our house, we have been given two books already in just months. The only reason they come out of the plastic bag is to put them immediately into the recycling bin.

It seems that if the Yellow Pages folds, it could be really bad for some companies who get their best results from it.

2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe it'll force em' to lower their damn rates...

I myself have never advertised in the book... but I have a friend who did..... says it cost almost $2,000.00 for 2 years. He received 1 phone call and TRULY believes it was nothing more then a bogus call from someone within the yellow pages company.

The caller talked about how great the ad was, and he was so glad he found him in the yellow pages. And yet, never asked for an estimate on getting his trees cut down. hahahhaah

3. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

I have advertised in the Yellow Pages and it did pay for itself and I suppose if you have people to do the work it would even be profitable. But it is VERY expensive compared to flyers. Since I'm basically solo most of the time and lawns are so seasonal I bowed out over 6 years ago. I'm glad because I used to get calls from all over when I really just like sticking to my own area, lots of solicitors too... I'm in the White Pages :)

Besides, websites are the way to go imo.

I pick up customers in a 2 month period in the spring (mostly) so why pay for yellow pages for 12 months? If I had a pizza joint, I would definitely be in there though.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

If the yellow pages survies, It will FOR SURE CAUSE ME PAIN.......

these people are nothing But a PITA

5. Okiebug003

Okiebug003 LawnSite Member

It wouldn't suprise me if they went belly up. There are too many in each market. I mean we get 7 maybe 8 different phone books per year delivered to our house. Its bad enough that you pay 2 grand for an add only to compete with other lawn care advertisers. Then you have a one in eight chance they kept the phone book your in. I just wasn't that pleased when I did it.

6. LBFmd

LBFmd LawnSite Member
    from MD

there was something on CNBC the other day about Idearc (Yellowpages) they were number 3 out of the top 15 large companies in the US most liekly to file for Bankruptcy in the next 6 months.

that tells you somethin

7. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am actually surprised they lasted this long...I haven't used a yellow pages book since the mid-90's

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but this is just another case of a company who couldn't see their way out of this hole
    which has been a long time in the brewing, and if nobody saw it coming that's not my fault, either.
    So why should I feel sorry?

Just like the big telephone companies, are they going out of business?
    Lucky for them cellulars were an easy cross-over, but it still boils down to them
    seeing it coming, then getting off their butts and making some changes.

Not sure what the Yellow Pages could have done instead, but then it's not my company.

You can opt out from receiving phone books.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I am not worried about it. Yellow Book does suck. AT&T yellow pages is the "real yellow pages" in my area. I pay 2k a month for my advertising in both books. Takes money to make money.

10. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Our yellow page listings last year were the same pages as the enitre book this year. At least half of the yellow page ads have dropped out of the book including myself.