Will you be offering a director kit?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Organic-man, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Organic-man

Organic-man LawnSite Member

I will be buying a hand operated device for closing the side discharge on my exmark HP.Some call this a director. I was wondering if you guys ever thought of implementing this into your Lazer Z product line. It would make you very competitive with other mowers who offer similar devices. It looks like a very handy tool to prevent discharging into unwanted areas and can also act as a side discharge shield when not fully closed.

2. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

This issue has been brought up numerous times. eXmark will not do it because it wouldnt allow the decks to fall under ANSI's standards. Dixie Chopper does their own safety analysis and has their own standards. Manufacturers arent requried to comply with ANSI standards, but eXmark has chosen to, and hats off to them for that. Buy yourself a Director and be done with it. My new EPS has one and I cant wait to use it.

3. Organic-man

Oh, sure I am getting one, from York Sheet Metal in York, Penn.
    $235 delivers it to my door in less than a week. I was just wondering why Exmark didn't offer one.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Brieldo you said it all. We look at this and keep looking at this to try to develop something.

The Dangers of throwing objects scare us too much to recommend or build them.

Hey, as long as you guys need something like this we will still be looking for a way to do it.

Thanks, Fred.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

What's more safe? Having no discharge chute (which is what many do because it often just gets in the way) Or having a chute the operator can control and use in several different modes. ??

That's twice tonight I've read Exmarks standard "disclaimer"

6. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

You have to realize taht when eXmark designs a piece of equipment, they dont take into consideration that everybody takes the discharge chute off. They intentionally put stickers on the machine to discourage you from doing so. They engineer products that are safe to operate. If you take it off, you're doing so at your own risk . They designed it to function with it, and if you defeat that, you're on your own. I agree, the chutes arent perfect, if you want an OCDC, buy an aftermarket one and be done with it.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I do

I know

I do

I will

I guess some of us are like Harley owners who can't leave there rides "stock".

But Hey Exmark, You already know there is a market for an OCDC. Make your own test it to your standards. Make it to match the quality of your mowers. Maybe make one that curves and overlaps the front and rear of the discharge when closed so it would give more protection and direction when half open.
    Basically the same chute you have only short enough and wide enough to go completely down.

That's all I have on the subject.

8. Organic-man

Exmark,
    PaulJ is right. I thought up the same design before as well. What would it take to build a director that complied with the safety tests? I think I understand why you do not build one though. It would give the operator the stock option of turning his machine into a dangerous vehicle with your approval. For liability reasons, it is a good reason not to build a director. Let us buy the aftermarket ones, then it is really our fault if damage occurs. After all, Exmark provided the proper discharge shield which we chose not to use to our own detriment.

9. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Guys,

Like I said earlier "as long as you guys need something like this we will still be looking for a way to do it."

We have looked at this and after market ones. They don't come close to passing, but we are trying.

You are right that having control to shut the discharge off is a nice safety feature. Now all we have to do is convince the lawyers and insurance companies or re-write the standard. Time will tell.

Thanks, Fred.