will you give us some mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Dec 11, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a a nonprofit hit me up on donating some lawn equipment so they could take care of there property. I asked what they were looking for so they sent me a list of stuff they needed.

(2) commercial WB
    (1) commercial rider
    (4) commercial trimmers
    (1) commercial blower
    (1) commercial edger

Sounds like kind of a lot to ask for I thought. I was willing to part with a few rakes, shovels and maybe a push mower but they are asking for some high ticket items. I know it would be a write off for me, but it would also be a write off for them to buy some used equipment or hire out. So now instead of companies taking the lowest bid I guess we should donate our equipment so they can do it them selves.:rolleyes: I suppose big companies can give stuff like this away, unfortunately for them my equipment is what pays the bills.

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Forward that kind of thing to the big operators like Brickman and Valley Crest. An operation that's much smaller at all simply cannot afford that kind of donation unless the equipment is pretty banged up, in which case it's not much help to the party receiving the equipment.

3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to say there aren't legitimate causes worthy of donating to. . .but be aware. . .

Don't let the "nonprofit" status smoke-cloud confuse you into a "charity" sort of thinking. Most "nonprofits" are actually "not-for-profits" (which may intentionally say they are "nonprofit" either because they don't know the difference or, more frequently, because it plays to their advantage to act like they don't know the difference due to perks like this in which they may get some free equipment from someone) which merely means they have a tax-exempt status. It does NOT mean they don't earn a profit. If they don't earn a profit they go out of business. Otherwise they would not be legally called a not-for-profit "business". The difference is they must not pay those profits to shareholders - rather they must help the community with the profits.

In other words, by donating equipment to them, it simply makes them more profitable if they can save money by having a full-time maintenance person do the job you should be contracted to do; and with your equipment while the officers laugh at you all the way to the bank.payup

4. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a former or wanna be LCO wrote that wish list. you would think if they are asking for something for nothin' they would ask for cheaper items like a lawn tractor, or donated service.

i mow for the local American Red Cross for nothing. about an acre of grass, i don't ask for a penny, but if they would ask for equipment, not from me, i would rather keep mowing for free.

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Asking for some small donations...okay.

Asking for my 6-12k mowers...get lost.

Give me a break, I can see asking for a mower...but to say "Commercial" Rider. What the heck do they need "Commerical" mowers for if it is just for there establishment????:dizzy:

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

exactly !!!!! you cant tell me that if and when they get that eqp. that they wont get some volunteers to start a mowing bus. for them . they have alterior motives ..beleive it...

7. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

exactly.

maybe once they get that equipment they'll start their own mowing crew...haha

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not too picky, are they:rolleyes: Give me a break.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

A little story I was told a few years back by one of the larger companies around,,,,
    Once upon a time a small not for profit company did that here. They received many 21" and hand held items(trimmers, hedgers, hand tools and other misc.) Now about 13 years later they are the second largest LCO here. They use all handicapped people for work and make it hard to put in light commercial bids. They pull down the price for small commercial work by about 30% of what it should be. Beware.

10. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

uuuuuuu, NO. They really are picky about what they want somebody to donate.