Will you give YOUR customer MY business card!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brentsawyer, Dec 5, 2003.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Reading other stories and thought I'd share one and see what you thought of this ignorance, completely true

While mowing my nicest paying lawn which happens to be right next door to former governor, this guy pulls up in the previous governors driveway and parks his 1985 Ford Ranger with two other friends and get out and stands in the middle of the lawn I'm on and being directly in my way I have to get off stop mower and stop the leaf vacuum and ask what he wants.

Him: So, do you take care of all of this here
    Me: Yes, why
    Him: I was wondering if you knew who did there tree work
    ME: I'm not sure
    Him: He has alot of trees that have handing limbs left from the ice storm from last year and was wonderen if you'd givem my card
    Me: No, I'm sorry, I've worked real hard at earning their trust over the past two years and I don't know you and the front door is right over there and you'r more than welcome to knock on it yourself but I'm not doing it for you and besides, they surely won't appreciate you doing that since they are definitely not that type of people.
    Him: What do you mean, you wouldn't stick you neck out for them or me
    Me; Yea, sorry

Ok more dialogue but basically beat it your wasting my time and you'r a little dirty and dumb to be working here.

Later that day luck would have it my alternator goes out on the way home and I pull over call for help, help arrives and 25 min. later so do they.

Him: Hey man need anyhelp
    Me: No its right here
    Him: Hey by the way, know anyone who wants some dirt
    Me: no not right now, why
    Him: we just got finished with a job in same neighborhood I guess and needed to get rid of it and was wondering if you'd like it.
    Me: No, but you can take it back up the road about 3 miles to the dump and they'll let you dump for free if its dirt
    Him: No they charged us $28 last time
    Me: Why that should've been free
    Him: Nope, they said they had to charge because it had BRICKS and CONCRETE in it.
    Me: Good luck (hes turning around to go back to his truck) next time charge your customers for your dump fee and you won't have to worry about it.

Now, who in their right mine would offer up dirt to me or anyone of you that has BRICKS and CONCRETE in it when you should know by my truck that I'm a landscaper. DUHH

2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I would never recommend someone or provide a business card to anyone without prior knowledge of their quality of work.

I do however trade business cards with several individuals in my area that are in different types of business: for instance I have a friend of the family that is a handyman and does excellent work. I always have peolpe asking if we do any work inside the home. I explain that we do not but that I have a business card of someone that does and that I highly recommended. I send him leads, he sends me leads..It works to both of our advantage.

I also have a buddy that is a real eastate agent and only deals in high dollar estate homes. When someone inquires about lawn maint. companies in the area he hands them my card, and in return I let him know of possible clients looking for a real estate agent. So far this type of marketing has worked out quite well.

3. brentsawyer

Yes that is a great way of marketing and I'm definintely all for it. I infact used to belong to an group that did the same with about 20 individuals. However, blindly walking up to someone on a property they work on and are presently working on is wrong and very bad in taste.

4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I completly agree..

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a whole stack of business cards in my truck for various things. Most of them are landscapers. As far as that group thing, you were talking about, Bobby, I had a friend call me up just a few weks ago and she asked about that. She said she belongs to this sort of "referral service, that you pay an annual fee, and you are referred by the other members,... who are at about twenty of them now. There are no two businesses of the same type in this group. In other words, no 2 attorneys, no 2 painters, etc.. I just passed on the deal, since it sounded more as if the majority of the people were based just a little farther away from me than what I would care for.

6. brentsawyer

Ok, let me rephrase, walking up to me on someones property and asking if I would go and give them your business card is wrong. Won't do it, won't have it

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would have to agree with not giving one of my customers someones elses business card. Because it could come back and hit you in the face when the business provides them a poor service and the customer blames you for the referral.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

When the first guy walked up I would have taken the card and then he would have left faster. I would never give the card to the customer though.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Being a Joysee guy, my 1st reaction would have been, "and what's my percentage btw?" haha But no, I would have told him to take a hike...

10. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

BrentSawer,

Again I completly agree.. I'm not disagreeing with what your saying.

Someone who you don't know anything about approaching you while your on the job and asking you to give out their business card is wrong, and I'm not agreeing with what they did.

But if you know the person and feel comfortable with the quality of their work then there sould be nothing wrong with giving out
    their business card as a referral if your asked by the customer.