Will you raise your price mid season if gas keeps going up?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rebs, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Rebs

Rebs LawnSite Member

gas keeps going up? I raised them on January 1, would you raise them again if price goes up very much more?

Any thoughts or ideas or comments?

2. southernlandscapespecial

southernlandscapespecial LawnSite Member

seems like you would have to, I hate having to keep raising rates but the rising fuel costs justify the rate increase

3. If I find myself in the situation where I need to raise prices or make insufficient margin, then I would raise prices.

I would add a temporary fuel charge line item to each invoice I perform during the period of high gas prices. That way the customers know this is a price increase due to fuel costs and will last as long as the high fuel prices do.

I also would remove the temporary line item when fuel prices fall below what I expected when I raised my prices in January.

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I dont like to raise prices after the season has started,and since I had a price increase from last year I dont think it would go over well with the customers. I try and keep the route as tight as possible so I dont use any more fuel than necessary. the fert price increases hurt more than the fuel prices!

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just called everyone this week and last week and raised everyone $3 even the ones I already raised prices the beginning of year. I told them if was for the increase in gas and no one canceled. Everyone seemed to understand.

I don't plan on decreasing it when gas goes down if it ever does.