1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wilow looks sick...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by alternative, Aug 21, 2007.

1. alternative

alternative LawnSite Senior Member

I just planted a willow in my backyard. Day 1 the leaves were green, (lime greenish) Day 2 they started turning a bit yellow, and now there are a few that seem to be dying.
    We just got tons of rain and wondering if the cause is because too much water? What s the deal?
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i bet to much water! ive lost several trees this year because of rain.
  3. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

There is no such thing for too much water for a willow. It might just be transplant shock. They will push out new buds next year I guarantee it. Unless there was some sort of herbicide issue, but eeven then it might survive.

The excess water will not kill the willow, but it might take a little extra time to pull out of its stress.
  4. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

Probably not enough water. You'll think I'm crazy, but Willows need a TON of water when they first go in.
  5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Do this:

A) Get a Gator bag to water the tree.
    B) Set a hose on the slowest trickle you can and set it against the base and let it run for say 2 hrs......slow + time = deep watering.

*C) Get a root stimulator.........fertilizer, lots of phosphorus

Don't worry about the yellowing, its not uncommon. This spring it will bud and leaf out nice an full......probably more then it is now too.

Meantime........do A or B + C and you'll be good. Miracle Grow has stuff (liquid) at Lowe's/Home Depot that you can use for tranplants.