wilting weeping cherry

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by OBRYANMAINT, Sep 3, 2004.

1. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

last year i planted two weeping cherries for a customer and about the middle of august the one seems to have curling leaves. my cust. is very worried. there is no sight of bugs or leaf damage like holes, spotting, etc. the other is perfect. this is now the second year this has happened. any ideas? maybe something else i should be looking for? i warranty all my plants and hate to have to replace it.

thanks,HOLLY
    LANDSCAPE FOREMAN,OHIO

2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

If the tree was planted too deep,it may give you those signs.

Can you see the trunk flare?

What has been the water pattern?

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

As CC said, bare the flare..Many nurseries ball the rootball too high around the root flare, so make sure to dig down a little and expose the flare above the crown. We had a few Autumn Flowering Cherry trees do similarly last fall. Water saturation / ground density can really kill a tree quickly.

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE! IT MAY VERY WELL BE AN OVERWATERING PROBLEM: SHE DOES THIS A LOT. I HAVE ALREADY REPLACED TWO FORSYTHIAS DUE TO HER OVERWATERING. I WOULDN'T HAVE GUESSED THAT THOUGH BECAUSE IT LOOKED SO DRY. I AM STILL GOING TO CHECK UP ON THE ROOT FLARE BECAUSE SHE'S ALWAYS PUTTING HER ANNUALS AND MANEUR IN THE BEDS AND MAY HAVE BUILT IT UP TOO HIGH. THANKS AGAIN! HOLLY

5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

overwatering and underwatering show manyof the same signs.

If the tree is sitting in water it cannot take water or oxygen in

Therefore you get the same results as no water.

If the tree is planted too deep this will compound the problem.

If the tree is planted too high or has a mulch vocano it is likely to
    root above ground and be girdled, the trunk will also be exposed to to much moisture and harbor insects and disease.

So as impactlandscaping stated above "Bare the flare"

And no mulch within 6" of the trunk

Post Tip:
    Might be a good idea not to use caps on your responces it looks like you are yelling.

:)

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes simply "bareing the flare" isn't enough. If the tree is too low to begin with, you may need to raise the tree. Ideally the root flare should be at grade or 1-2 inches higher.

Dan