Winch for removing shrubs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cclllc, Nov 4, 2012.

1. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I may be putting this in the wrong area.Sorry.
    What I need to know is how big or small of a winch can I use to pull shrubs out of the ground?I was thinking maybe 2000 lbs would be enough as long as I loosen the soil around the shrubs.Thx

2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

2000 ain't gonna do much. I have. 9000# on my truck and it struggles. The best way is to use a backhoe/ mini ex.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. shadetreelawns

shadetreelawns LawnSite Member

I have a 12,000 (tabor made by warn)pound winch that does a pretty good job. I cannot think of a situation where this winch did not pull the shrub out. I like using this method to remove shrubs.

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Using a winch? I use shovel or skid loader. How is this winch set? Portable? Mounted on something?

5. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 7,000 lb on my f250--came with the truck. sometimes still need to engage 4 wheel drive to avoid a shovel. If you just want to pull tension so you can cut roots, a smaller one may be useful. We have pulled out everything that we strapped to it so far. Use it to set boulders too. 1 truck picks up the boulder, winch pulls off and sets it in place--done this a few times.