1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

winch on mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfcrazy, Dec 4, 2003.

1. turfcrazy

turfcrazy LawnSite Member

i have a z200 and do a lot of work alone. i live in a mountain area in north carolina.. i was looking for pics of some kind of atv winch for the front that someone my have fabed up... using quick clips to use on the back.. thanks tommy
  2. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

I tried to get my motherinlaw to sit on the mower but she wouldn't no winch on mower pics from me sorry
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

summergrove, if I hadn't seen your name first, I would have sworn that bobbygedd posed that reply. Maybe you guys are related btw??? LOL
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about an actual winch (costwise), but a come-along caried along on the trailer wouldn't be a bad idea.
  5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I carry a come-along in all of my trucks.
  6. cnflawn

cnflawn LawnSite Member
    from tn

hi turfcrazy

where are you at in wnc

i grew up in sylva and you are right about the hills

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I too think a come-along would be the best choice for a mower.

The reason: I'm not sure if a z200 is a ztr or what have you, but I have a 60" ztr and it weighs a considerable amount more than any atv (utility atvs are usually between 400 - 600 lbs. stock). Therefore, you'd probably need a bigger winch than a 2000 - 3000 lb. atv winch. This would draw more amperage and may not be good for your unit (I'm no electrician BTW).

On the other hand atv winches are rated to be able to drag a 400 - 600 lb. ATVs out of mud up to it's axles, so it might do the job if you are not too deep.

However, if you do go this route, the instructions for wiring it up should probably apply the same to a mower. Just be sure to mount it as low as possible but not so that it gets wet or gets in the way of work. Also, you may consider mounting it on the rear as opposed to the front, otherwise you'll have to winch through the obstacle and then have to winch back across.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

:laugh: Crap! a winch on a mower, if your in them kinda mountains just buy a few mountain goats and turn them loose:confused:
  9. turfcrazy

turfcrazy LawnSite Member

heep! just like all the other forums.. just more smart *****
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

:D Well you asked for it! Why would you need a winch on a mower you never explained? The only reason I could think that anyone would have a need to mount a winch is there mowing or trying to mow the mountains that you live in or you got a habit of putting your mower where it should not be, and can't get it out without the help of a winch.:dizzy: