Winching my ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Please Help! I have recently purchased a WARN WORKS 3200AC-R winch. http://www.warnworks.com/works/acwinches/3200AC-R.shtml It runs on 110-120 ac current i would like to use it in the field if there is not a electrical outlet available. How can i convert it to dc power?? Would i need a dc to ac converter and at what capacities do i look for. I already called the company and they gave me the # to Sure Power but they only do dc to dc converters.

I know i could of bought this model http://www.warnworks.com/works/dcwinches/DC3700.shtml
    and my problems would be solved, but at the price i got it for i could not pass it up.

The unit i have has these specs
    Motor: DC Rectified PM Motor
    HP: .6 HP 3.0" Diameter
    Power: 120V-60Hz Single Phase AC

Motor
    Current
    19.6 Amps 2350 KW (this is at full capacity)

Any and all help will be appreciated :waving:

2. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Shawn,

19.6 amps at 120 volts = 2352 watts

Power is always the same (ignoring losses), thus max power required at 120V is the same as that required at 12V, thus ...

2352 watts / 12V = 196 amps required at 12V

Now, AC to DC inverters are not perfect, they have losses. To get 2352 watts out of the inverter, you will need to put say 3000 watts into the inverter.

3000 watts into the inverter at 12V requires 3000/12 = 250 amps. This is big current - you can easily weld with this!

So, to do the job you need a 3000 watt DC to AC inverter, BUT, and this may be the killer, you need to supply 250 amps to that DC to AC inverter from your 12V source. A car battery will do this for a short period of time. The ZTR battery won't. Things get hot when this much current is flowing.

To provide 250 amps you will need to feed the inverter with giant wire - roughly the size of wire from your truck battery to the truck starter (big booster cable size). With this kind of current, the required wire size increases dramatically with length. A short 12" piece of 4awg cable will carry heavy current. Increase the length by only a few feet and you will have to step up a size to #2 cable or larger.

And lastly, inexpensive DC to AC inverters do not produce clean sinusoidal AC power. They usually deliver it as a square wave or modified square wave. This will also hamper the ability of the winch to work at full capacity.

So my take on it is, deal or not, go for a 12V winch and save the additional cost of the inverter ($350 plus). This keeps the assembly simple, easy to bolt on and easy to power from your ZTR.

Find a 3000lb (or so) winch made for an ATV and you are off to the races. Get a snatch block (simply a pully to double the cable back on) and you double the pulling power of the winch! Around here the winch can be had for about $150 from Warn, Ramsey, or Superwinch. I see 2500 lb units (plenty of power with a snatch block) on Ebay for $50 and up.

Hope this helps,

deej

3. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

Thank you so much for the input. I just thought of something else though hopefully you can assist. Would if be possible to use a generator a small one (not sure on what size i would need to power the winch) to elimanite the ac to dc converter dilema?? :waving:

4. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

I've a 12v unit I barely use, and need a 120v unit. Want to trade?

5. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

no i need what i have i just wanted to use it with both applications.:waving:

6. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Shawn,

Yes a small portable generator would easily do the job. If you already carry one on the truck, even better.

The generator would have to be rated to output 19.6 amps at 120 volts = 2352 watts - so any generator rated at 2500 watts or greater would do the job. A generator with a 5hp engine is all that is required to generate 2500 watts.

The longer the distance from the generator to the winch, the heavier the extension cord you want to use to power the winch. Keep the distances short and you can draw full current through a "normal" extension cord.

A snatch block allows the winch to pull with the same force using half the power. The load will move at half the speed, but who cares as long as you get out.

The winch should be rated for a much heavier load than you are trying to pull. Any winch will pull an 800lb ZTR along flat ground. Put that same ZTR in a muddy ditch where it is vacuumed in, and that is another story. Doubling the capacity of your winch with a snatch block is always smart.

deej

7. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

DEEJ

Thank you i appriciate you expertise in this matter. :waving: