Wind around 20 mph, would you spray?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Triple R, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Driving home I was looking at some flags in front of an apartment complex. They were wipping like crazy, wind must have been at least 20 mph. Just as I was looking at the flags I noticed someone in the background, couldn't belive my eyes it was a scrub with a backpack sprayer. He was spraying about 40' away from a high traffic road, and was not using any PPE. What would you do?

2. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Your joking, right? Anyone stupid enough to spray without PPE and in wind conditions like that deserves to get testicular cancer. I would have reported the schmuck.

3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Two different issue's here, spraying with a back-back in 20 mph, not ideal conditions but I have done the same on many occasion. With a hand or back-pack sprayer you can keep your nozzle a foot or less over the turf area and control drift, using a hose and tank would be more questionable. NO PPE however, in any condition, is as Garth said just "stupid", or naive, I would report anyone I saw with no PPE just to make sure they had a clue as to the potential implications of their actions.

4. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Working around a large lake, we often have windy conditions, it is controllling the drift that is important, not the wind speed or direction, unless you are in excess of the label, of course.

We often find ourselves using backpacks or on point lots working with the wind. In some places there is no such thing as a calm day, and the clients don't care about wind, they care about weeds.

EG

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

It is OK to spray in windy conditions if you are controlling drift. You can get in trouble on a calm day, too. For me 20 mph is a bit much. l

6. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

True

20 is too much.

much more than 10 can be a probelm and usually 15 is no way

7. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

If it's over 10 mph, using low pressure and increasing droplet size will reduce drift. But 20 mph and no PPE? Anyone doing that would have no problem spraying organophosphates or carbamates next to a preschool. Report the fool. :realmad:

8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Not wearing ppe is just plain crazy....kind of like playing russian roulette with a glock! :cry:

9. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Sounds like the guy spraying my neighbors lawn, pulling a hose with no gloves and wearing his sneakers :dizzy:

10. greg6775

greg6775 LawnSite Member
    from ky

ppe i dont see anybody ever wearing a mask so think about that