Wind ugghhh!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Sep 11, 2002.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

today we had a ton of wind in my area. gusts around 40 mph and higher all day. Most houses look like they need spring cleanups. tons of twigs and leaves everywheres. what a mess. 122,000 without power. anybody else come across this today? do you tack on an extra fee for picking up the extra twigs?

2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

We've had and are still having close to 50mph gusts right now. Alot of leaves and twigs down around here. Ill add cleanup to fall cleanup total in a few weeks.
    One guy up the street had half a tree fall onto his f150 i think its totalled too. He has no front end no windshied. Im just lucky it wasnt my truck.

3. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of wind here too. Power is out everywhere. Really looking forward to checking out the yards tomorrow.

I will charge extra if there is alot that needs to be picked up. A few sticks tho is no big deal, just part of the game.

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We got wacked pretty good this afternoon. We got way behind on mowing because I responded to half a dozen "wires down" calls (volunteer fireman). I can't believe we didn't lose power at my house, usually we ALWAYS lose power!

If there is a lot of sticks in the way, I charge extra. One big pain is not having room on the truck with all the mowing equipment.

5. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Oh god today was the worst with the wind, grass blowing in my face All day. It was terrible because it was one of those winds that was blowing( 30 to 35 mph maybe more) every which way so you couldnt even try to work with it. I had a miserable day.....

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

to answer your question . yep i get paid for clean up, from acts of god.if they have the rite homeowners they can get their money back plus a bonus.

7. Sounds like a regular day around here. Don't try to blow clippings any direction, just go with the wind.
    Couple weeks of that in a row and you don't mutter to yourself, you're talking out loud.
    If its just twigs that don't need cut up I dispose of them no extra $. Most properties don't have enough trees to be a big problem.

8. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Charge extra for any extra work that you do. Time is money. If the wind was that bad, they'll understand. If they don't, I'm sure they won't mind picking it up themselves.
    Hey Bob. Try mowing down here in Houston in July and August. :blob2: It makes hell seem like a deep freezer.