Window Tint

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Bombi275, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Bombi275

Bombi275 LawnSite Member

What percent or how dark of window tint are you all running on your skid steers? I was going to go with 5% but thought maybe I should go with a lighter 15% or 20% for visibility in low light conditions. Just thought I'd see what everyone else is using. Thanks.
  2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Window tint looks sexy. I really like the look it gives a machine from the outside whether it be a skid or an excavator or whatever piece of iron you want to put it on. Would I do it? Never!! Think of sitting in a machine and trying to give signals to a guy outside on the ground......does he see you? Maybe, maybe not or maybe not so good. Who is gonna get hurt? Not you because you're in a sexy lookin' machine, its the guy outside who is going to pay the price. Equipment is a very unforgiving endeavor, you get killed or maimed in an instant.....why would you increase the possibilities? If you have an enclosed cab, turn on the air. I have seen the worst several times........always figured it would never happen on my watch, but it for me, no sexy lookin' tint.
  3. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100% with that and I also add that when working at the end of the day and the sun is setting or maybe you have to run at night it is hard enough to see out of a machine without tint so why make it even harder?
  4. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

i think I have 15% on my side and rear windows and 12 or 10% on my windshield. I do have to agree with limited visibility at night. Fortunately I rarely ever run at night. I love my window tint on my cab. I also had my trucks done. It stays alot cooler. I can see out just fine during the day. I don't think its a safety issue udring the day. If you work at night alot maybe downgrade the tint or just rule it out. Stay safe...
  5. Stick Pro

Stick Pro LawnSite Senior Member

I went 20% on my 287b 5 was to dark i tried it on the back side windows and could not see a thing you should go with 20 we do not work at night any and it stays much cooler in the cab with them tinted
  6. RockSet N' Grade

It's not the guy in the cab. Ask the guys outside working around if they can see you and what you are doing.........I learned a long time ago from the best ditch man I have ever seen named Poncho, it is not the operator who is in charge, it is the man on the ground outside who is in charge......and if they are compromised in any way....I won't do it. But then again, things change and I may be out to lunch. I just want everyone to go home safe.
  7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Never a truer statement have I read.
  8. Bombi275

Bombi275 LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I also agree with the safety issue, but I work this machine alone mowing fields and piling brush. This southern desert sun is hot and the reflection from the snow in the winter is brutal and I thought that by not having to try to avoid these issues by squinting and cringing all day might speak something of safety in itself.
  9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Here's what I do to combat texas heat.
    First, I paint the roof white with appliance grade enamel.
    Second, I partially cover or tint the moonroof leaving enough of a slit for me to see the top of a dump truck or overhead obstructions.
    Third, I put a suction cup mounted window screen across the back window to cut down on heat.
    Fourth, I have used two different types of fans to help the A/C in the summer in a Bobcat and will probably do the same in my CAT.
    There is a noticeble difference in cab heat with roof painted white, rear window and moon roof partially covered, however, so I would try that first. Keep your filters clean, too and make sure your drip line is clear so the humidity drips out of the machine.
  10. RockSet N' Grade

Bombi..........sunglasses may be a viable option.