1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Window well leaking in hard rains, need a repair

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Popper357, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

I have a potential customer that would like a bid to fix his leaking window well, this well leaks only on hard rains and has no negative drainage issues. I believe that water is leaking from between the metal shroud and the foundation concrete junction.

Here's a couple pics of the well, and a pic of his neighbors well that would be ideal to match.

I think water may enter over the top of the metal shroud, or from the foundation junctions, either way I need to fix this and garauntee my work. Does anyone have experience with these and know a good fix? Any guidance would be appreciated, I have yet to bid this. Without more experience or guidance, I feel unable to garantee my work, and thus loose the bid.

PS I was thinking about adding concrete to match the last photo (neighbors') and apply some silicone caulk at the shroud/foundation junctions. If I use concrete, should I trench four inches down and use rebar? Or just use a dry mix on top of the ground? Thanks
  2. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Is it leaking into house or just into the well between metal and house? Is there a drain pipe tied to the footer drains in the bottom, it may be clogged. Cant tell from pics, does the ground slope away from the house? Lots of simple solutions but some expensive ones to check the drain first.
  3. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

Water is entering through the window in small amounts. I believe that there is no drain in the bottom but will double check. The drainage around this area is good and I believe that rain only enter during heavy rains.
    Now that I think about it, there may be rainwater falling in since there is no cover on the window well. Bet that is the solution, but lets talk about other means of waterproofing this. Silicone along the foundation/shroud junction would be a good idea anyway.

How would I build the concrete retainer around this well, since the client may like to add this (match neighbors) anyway? I bet a couple bags on concrete and a pointer will do. What are other measures common on these wells?
  4. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Caulking the inside cant hurt, but the solution is a drain. Pouring the concrete around shouldnt be an issue. Looks like its just a small pad to sit the cover on. Use a piece of flexible form material and stake it good then put some sacrete in and finish. If you want an absolute fix take a shovel and dig around in the bottom and see if you can find a pipe.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Did this on my house.....Same problem.

How many window wells are involved?

I had 2 that were culprits.

Went to Lowes and bought another window well. I sawzalled (is that a word?) it in half and made 2, half height pieces. I then dug out around the original and capped the new half pieces around them. Mine fit almost exactly. I sheet metal screwed them together and caulked them heavily. This raised the window well about 8".

Then I added a plastic cover as shown in your one photo. Backfilled, and has been problem free for a while now.

Make sure you clean and caulk the entire way down the joint between window well and foundation.

Also, make sure their gutters arent clogged.

Mine are standard "K" gutters, but on real HEAVY rains, I see them running over and dripping (heavily) right on top of the window wells. I could probably use the commercial sized 6" K gutter to take the capacity.