Windowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Live4Mowin', Jun 27, 2003.

1. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

okay, call me an idiot but could someone explain to me windrowing?:blush: ive heard it numerous places but didnt know what it meant.

2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure how it would apply to lawncare. But back on the farm, you would use a large rake behind the tractor to move the hay into rows to pick up with a baler. Or you would use a swather that would cut the hay, crimp it to remove most of the moisture and then leave it in "windrows" so you could pick it up with a baler.

3. If a field of hay is cut and let lay, the wind will blow it into long piles like rows.
    Farmers rake their dried hay into windrows so the haybaler can pick it up.
    When a lawnmower leaves clumps of clippings in a row because it's thick or wet, some people call those windrows.
    When I've mowed a lawn that was too tall, I let it dry for an hour or so then with a side discharge mower, blow it into windrows so the WB can bag it with just a couple of passes.

That's all I know about windrows. There might be more.

Dave

4. All dat farm land in NE and you didn't know dis? LOL j/k...

There are several versions in lawncare.

Strips of uncut grass the deck missed.

Rows of clumps of grass

Can't think of any more now............

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Simply, a method of gathering grass for pick-up. Pushing it all one way, and can be done in different directions and rows, also. For instance, we sometimes do this with leaves so they are rteady for pick-up.

6. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

In my opinion, most people on here are refering to the clumps of grass left in a row after you use a mower with a deck that doesn't disperse the grass very well.

7. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

sorry LGF, im a city boy:D