1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winds gusting 20+ today

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Oct 24, 2005.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't seem to be a concern for Trubrown.

Truck came into my neighborhood today. I'm sure they will be spraying.
  2. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Tree spraying I"m sure lol
  3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

just curious here......you guys shut your business down because of 20mph winds?
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Every part of the country is different....but in my area it is unusual to have that kind of wind. 90 percent of the time, we have winds that are very insignificant.

Granular apps would be no issue, but I would not be spraying herbicides in winds over 20 mph. We have enough calm days here to not take chances with that.

I'm in between rounds right now, but starting up again next week with Simazine. Don't think Simazine would be a good idea in these conditions.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i had to bail on fri it was 2 windy called a customer to tell him i would not be out and he is like why? 2 windy my 4*6 flag was standing straigh out
  6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Why would they be concerned? It's unlikely that they are spraying anything but urea anyway, right?:)
  7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Yes, no spraying herbicides or insecticides in that high of wind without covered booms in any of the states I've sprayed in. There is always other work that needs to be done anyhow, not worth the drift.
  8. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Here in CA it's no higher than 10mph. That still seems excessive to me especially spraying Roundup Pro. I personally won't spray over 7mph. I also use low pressure and big nozzles to increase droplet size and reduce drift.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's 10 mph here in Michigan, too. If you're pulling hose, there's nothing like that great feeling of walking past the edge of a buiding and getting a full body length shower of 3 way covering you - especially getting a mist in your face, too.
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. But I think you and I are the only one's that know that.:dizzy: