1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

windy days

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman456, Dec 1, 2007.

1. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

what do you guys do on a very windy day like today. i can't keep up with it. everything i blew it just blew back or blew everywhere.

i had to quit early today. and i still have alot to do.

how does everyone deal with the wind on a windy day?
  2. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

treat it like a rain day .. stay home twice as much work with 1/2 the results for the same pay.
  3. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing happ to me early in the week.. I just do the best I can .. only can do so much.. get what you can.. 5 inches of snow last ngiht for us and a big winter storm coming im prety much all done How many more jobs do you have...??
  4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If we did this in Oklahoma, we would NEVER work...a calm day here is 10 to 15 mph...
  5. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

How do you deal with clean-ups? I would guess perhaps customers have a higher tolerance for that, but perhaps you have some tips for those of us not accustomed to constant wind?
  6. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

I have a backpack blower and a tarp for my setup. While I'm blowing leaves into a huge pile I move around it so that my back is to the wind, i.e. I'm working with the wind. Wind shifts and so do I.
  7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

wow, good solid advice. except when you blow a pile and the wind changes scattering everything over what you just did, even with your back to it.

wind killed us today, must have been 40+mph gusts. we still managed to get 7 done by 2 though. had to quit, it got really windy

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

:cry:Don't even bother working it's not worth the agrvation when you get a pile & turn your back for 10 seconds and there all over the lawn again,
  9. Cheapscapes

Cheapscapes LawnSite Member

thought i was the only one with the wind today sheesh what a mess..after about 1/2 hour i was ready to pack it in....i was doing a 3 acre lot...dont mind the wind... hate when it chages direction on you...i found the wind is never going in the direction i want to move the pile in...so im forced to tarp and dragg it...
  10. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

when i was doing it today the wind was changing directions every minute. it is very frustrating