1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

I've been interested in a wing for my pick up plow truck. Sidewing has a plow availible at $1900 US. Want your ideas if it would work. I have turned down contracts for plowing private roads, because I think you need a wing to move snow off to the side, any they weren't big enough to buy a special piece of equipement for. Would a wing work on parking lots? I think the extra time and time is money to raise and lower the blade would offset the extra clearing width. But what could you buy for $1900?
    Comments
    Bill

2. snow

snow Guest

Bill- there is a company in canada <a href="http://www.w-cote.com">w-cote</a>. they make wing plows for smaller trucks. i don't know if they go for under $1900, but in the literature they sent me, the plow is a frount mounted wing, while the sidewing is a rear mounted one. i don't know how hard it would be to make one, but maybe if you good with a welder and do a little fabrication, you could make one to your needs. no one around here uses wing plows, so i can't really give you brands. there is also a wing plow sold by <a href="http://www.hpfairfield.com"> hp fairfield </a> called the hp 102 wing plow. hope this helps.

bryan

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

The fact they make a plow that fits doesnt mean it will do the job intended. I cant see a pickup truck moving a wing plow and a front plow with anything more than an inch or two of light snow. That wing will keep pushing the truck around in circles.

Something to think about.

In central CT all the towns have at least one wing, mounted on the largest truck they have. Its good for clearing half the road at a time, but that truck is working.

4. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I agree with lawnguy,I've been on a "wing plow" web site and they have that one mounted on a nissan pickup and I just don't see it pushing a decent amount of snow with out getting pushed around(like into other cars, fire hydrants, brick walls,curbs,etc),even a larger truck is going to have a hard time with any thing more than 3 or 4 fluffy inches. Then think of what happens if it won't raise or blows a line and runs your main pump out of fluid(thats how the one I saw was opperated is off the exsisting plow pump using a diverter valve)your stuck with nothing to plow snow ,at least with a regular plow it can be driven to a shop with the blade on the ground, That doesn't work so well with some thing 10ft wide that you can't see.Also I saw how close to the truck body the blade was in the retracted position,this also is a problem because if some one were to bump into a object the damage could be to the whole side of a truck,starts to make the plow pretty expensive and the jobs not very profitable.

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I had a w cote wing plow on 91 F 350 (the truck has been traded). I was using it for plowing private roads, and many towns in maine also use them. They will work well, if your speed can be kept up, and you are not climbing big hills. Also you want a 1 Ton with a v-box, you the snow doesn't push you around. Only with the 10' blade on my 650, a wing was never needed.

Geoff

6. snow

snow Guest

geoff- i have some questions i want to ask you, please email me at bkrois@aol.com, i forgot your email address. by the way, how were the hydraulics and mounting set up for the w-cote wing plow?

thanks,

bryan

7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Well that was back in the day of belt driven hydraulics. So they ran of a belt driven pump. My system involved a mess of hydraulics hoses inside the cab. I had levers that controlled the wing, front blade, and spreader ( i had a hydrolic one once). To run this i wasn't useing the standard fisher belt driven pump. I had a guy put something together to make it all work, the end result was it worked, on it was a mess. The truck became a 2 seater, and it was just a mess never will i go back to that.

The wing required one double acting cylinders, to make it work. I bought the plow, used but it had never been used. A guy bought it for private roads, decided he didn't want to change the appearance of his truck, and sold the wing.

Mounting the wing, requires removing the front bumper, and installing a bracket connected to the frame of the truck and plow frame. The bumper can be remounted further out. A second bracket was installed just behind the cab on the frame.

I might have not had the cote brand, that you are talking about. I was able to use my fisher plow with the wing. While the coat system looked like you needed to use their plow and wing together.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 08-27-2000 at 02:13 AM]