1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winning over potential customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Simone Lawn Service, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I mow two properties directly across from eachother on a dead-end road. They are great in and out properties. There are two properties on this street I have sent letters to the past two Feb.'s trying to get them to call me for a price quote-I would LOVE to get these two properties (Help pay for the Lazer Z next year). They are pretty basic properties with very little landscaping to care for-nothing special-and they both look fairly nice right now. What can I do to win their business? This would fill out my mowing schedule for Friday perfectly, and like I said, I'm already right there.:confused:
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

There are a few things you can try

Discount pricing on certain services for the season. Maybe just on the spring cleanup.

Try a free service such as Free spring fert

Free annual flowers for the front.

Or anything else you can think of. What you do is only for the first year of service.

Why wait for February. Talk to them now. Why not go in person.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tip of the week: how does the lawn look most attractive? when u r looking right into the direction of the stripes, right? here is what i do: when im interested in a neighbor, i position my stripes facing in the direction so that when they walk out thier front door, and look up, thats the first thing that will catch thier eye. perfect, straight, crisp stripes. clean curb area, neat trimming and edging etc. think im full of cr*p? it works, trust me
  4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

That's the ticket. Facing them stripes the right way makes a difference. Sometimes I run the first stripe from where they enter the driveway.
    Simone, stripe those lawns to look good from driving or walking by, and the neighbors will want you.
  5. noclevername

noclevername LawnSite Member

I've always found that references seem to work well. If you have a good relationship with your two existing clients, ask if you can use their name in an introductory letter to the other properties that you are interested in. Because of the scope of work that we do, we seem to have a fairly close relationship with most of our clientele and the references they give are always glowing ( sometimes to the point of embarrassment, where I'm worried the potential clients might think I'm using family as references lol!!) The fact that it is on a dead end may help as well, I do a few on streets like that and the people seem to know their neighbors better than on regular thoroughfares.
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Simone Lawn Service,

Do you know if another company services their property or if they do it themselves? That might be something to consider when trying to attract them.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

see, crawdad got a brain. tennesee, tennesee, there aint aint no place id....rather be, baby wont u carry me, back toooooooo, tennesee. ever hear that song crawdad?
  8. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, my properties are at the very end of the dead end street, so the other businesses don't go past them. I think one of the companies has started to do the lawn themselves. It hasn't looked as nice lately and it also appears to have been done with a lawn tractor judging from the lines. This tells me they are probably trying to save money, but who knows...I wish I were more of a salesman like some of you guys. I always feel like I'm going to be bothering people if I go knocking on doors. I do like the idea of a discount of some sort for services.