Lawn Care Forum banner

Winning The Lottery Revisited

23K views 43 replies 39 participants last post by  DLONGLANDSCAPING 
#1 ·
Several years ago here on LawnSite I posed the question....

If you won the lottery last night - I'm talking millions - and let's just assume you want to stay in the lawn and landscape industry...and are willing to spend $1,000,000 on your business....

What would you do? What would you buy?

This was really interesting and fun the last time I asked this questions so let's see what you can come up with....

payup

#6 ·
OK, maybe I should re-word this since everyone is taking this so literally...

Make a wish list - if money were no object and you could buy anything you wanted for your business, what would it be?

#7 ·
Sure i could dump a quick million into the biz and buy some big trucks and some bad a$$ toys, mowers, trailers & gold chains, fake grillz and wife beater t-shirts for all the employeez "BLING BLING" but with that said i would really strive to involve my business more with the community so that we could use my wealth and slave labor i mean employeez to make a positive impact.
and then im gonna have Exmark build me a ZTR out of platium and put some spinner rims on it with air bag suspention and put solid gold controls on it with one of the crown air fresheners hanging from the armrest with some extra cup holers with a cold monster energy drink in everyone of them...and...a little fridge to keep my moon pies cold YEAH thats the Ticket!
these are just some of my dreams and although they seem a little dull this is what i would spend my loot on...:confused:

#8 ·
I would put a lot of it away to start with, and if I was going to stay in this industry (I don't plan to) I would put some of it toward school.... I don't think I would spend very much until I was out. Then, I would put a good margin toward marketing a new company and would use the rest to hire the best people I can find. I think a very small portion would be spent on equipment and such, even though every piece is expensive.

Maybe if I had 2 million I could do that, and then fill up my truck.

I think doing the above would be interesting in looking at whether using a million and investing it, could I make another million back.....

#11 ·
put it in the bank and make sure nobody knows you won people come out of the woodwork. ya know what i could use a couple more hydro 48in walkbehinds and a truck load of stihl backpacks. a large tank of gas that wont go bad and will last me for life.

#12 ·
Let me see.......Fix up and pay off my current truck. Buy some property and build a decent house and shop for my business. I would much rather have a barn/shop on my property than pay some fool a bunch of money each month to tell me what I can and cant park or do in a shop. The rest would go to upgrading some equipment, and then savings. I am a solo op, would like to stay that way for a while, so I have no intent of buying 10 trucks and a bunch of crap like that. Just enough so me and my family can be happy and the business run smoothly

#13 ·
Don't play, so my odds are less than 0 of winning.

#15 ·
Buying land, and building a shop, would be first on the list. It would be a large shop, with about 5 acres. Then I would get the equipment and expand into heavy dirt work. Really a million would not go very far when you start talking large construction equipment.

I would keep the mowing/plowing thing going too. But it would switch to only large properties, like malls and campuses.

#19 ·

Make a wish list - if money were no object and you could buy anything you wanted for your business, what would it be?
About 5-12 achers of land
Build a house and a barn
Build a small greenhouse
Solar panels for the house and barn (one less bill)
The stuff needed to make my own bio diesel for the trucks
2 more trucks 1 with a Boss V
1 enclosed trailer with all the equipment needed
Office equipment / software
Stocks/Bonds

#20 ·
OK, I'll play.

First, a 60'X60' shop with two 14' doors and a walk-in door in front and three 14' doors in back. Of course, it will have heat and air. There will be an area for two trucks and trailers, an area for my tractor and equipment like my bed edger, aerator, etc.. There will also be an area for fertilizer and seed pallets plus all my herbicides. There will be an I-beam running across the top with a 2-ton chain lift for working on my mowers and such. If I have enough room, I will also have a pit for working underneath my trucks, tractor, etc. (changing oil, etc.).

Outside, there will be lean-to's on both sides of the building with concrete padding. On one side, my tractor implements will be stored and on the other side will be a hot water pressure washer for cleaning my equipment.

There will be an additional truck added (probably a 20' bed cab-over) with full equipment. I will have one 66" ztr, two 60" ztr's, two 54" ztr's, and two 48" ztr's. I will purchase a 14' dump trailer setup mostly for leaf cleanup.

Last but not least. Since I'm spending this money on my business, this will count. I will pay off my house. If my new house we're building were paid off and I had a little money in the bank plus all the equipment I've listed here, I could quit the fire department. I run a 6-figure business alongside the fire department schedule. How many times I've imagined how big my business could grow if I didn't work 10 days/month somewhere else. :)

#21 ·
10 acres with a house and a 4,000 sq. ft. shop
New Ram 3500 quad cab 4x4, line-x, Hiniker plow
16 ft. enclosed trailer
Everride: (1) Warrior (2) 34" Scorpions (1) 52" Scorpion
All new Stihl handhelds
S70 and T190 Bobcats
360 SPRINT CAR!
Put some $$$ away for later

Maybe a HOT secretary!

#22 ·

A bigger shop, bigger office, my own landscape supply yard.
I would buy out the local exmark dealer, service center and make it part
of my business.
I would hire a full time marketing and sales person and start a major advertising campaign.
I would hire someone who's sole purpose was to hire people,and find people, good people.

Maybe open a gas station?

#23 ·
Put a building on some land (20-30 acres) big enough to lease to a number of landscape and snow companies with their own fenced off yards and units, and set up a landscape supply yard, salt depot, equipment dealer, truck and equipment repair and rental centre, employee temp agency, & gas station all on the same property. That of course is if I decide to stay in THIS type of business. But reality is I'd bail on this business if I was lucky enough to catch a lottery.

#26 ·
Yeah while the quantity of participants has gone up the quality has gone downhill over the years :laugh:

I would get all the little loose ends tied up and bring the franchise model to market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.