1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winter Activities- Other than Irrigation.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hoskm01, Dec 20, 2007.

1. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Lets see and hear about it! Sports, travels, purchases, anything you're doing this winter other than the norm. Yes, this should go in the off topic forum, but I really dont care to hear about anyone other than those who frequent here, the true family! Thanks.
  2. What, y'all do other thing other than irrigation...
  3. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I tend to drink more, i try to play more golf, (in the northeast it's hit or miss in the winter), take at least one golf vaca., catch up on the honey do list, and generally take it easy. Before you know it, i'm starting to prep for the next season, so mainly i just relax

4. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

WAY over 20 and maybe a little on the "challenged" side.

No rest for the weary here. We added a third guy and have ramped up. Trying new technologies and techniques as we go along.
  5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I really only slow a bit around X-Mas and New Years as a bunch of the builders shut down around here this time of year.
    Sooo, I tend to catch up on the hunting, deer and migratory dove plus I regularly compete in IDPA shooting events. In fact I'm headed back to my old home area near Allentown, PA in September to compete in the Nationals.
    A good thing about my crews is once I lay the system out they do all of the install except controller/rain sensors. My knees can't take the stress anymore plus why should I be in the trench - that's what the crews are for.
  6. Figure out how to use a computer. Put together an office system that works. We are still busy. I have a motto. Finish strong. Whether at the end of the year or the end of a job. I am going to give my assistant (he is really a separate service guy) a massive bonus to get him fired up for next year. I'm evolving as an owner and it isn't happening as fast as I'd like but it is happening. The pigtails are doing okay (doubled from last year) but I've barely tapped their potential and it's something I plan to spend some time on. I want to improve the water resistant aspect. Make them more install friendly in appearance. Find out what TORO's plans are for RainMaster remotes, get more of the business on auto pilot, many other things. I hate play. The only play I like is hanging with the dogs and my daughter when she is in town. other than that irrigation is 90% of my life. No wife obviously. Just a 51 year old irrigation hermit. Oh yeah make my yoga classes twice a week to keep my back loose.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No rest for the weary. :(
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Outside of irrigation I snowboard, camp, hike, read (I read lots of books), chill with my 2 dogs, fly fish. During the winter I have lots of little construction projects around the house. I never have time during most of my work season. I've done lots of woodwork and construction over the years, and worked for a cabinet company for a short time (still learned a lot from them).

I enjoy cooking so much it's like therapy. It absolutely calms me down. I like watching the Food Network as well. Mmmmmmm...... Giada de Laurentiis. She's yummy. Cool thing is that I love to cook meals, and Windy loves to bake desserts - pies, cookies, cobblers, etc. We're a good team. My brother loves cooking too, and when we get together we have a great time cooking and drinking.

I've mentioned before that I'm a crew chief for my buddy who is a hot air balloon pilot. We haven't flown as much this year though. And I haven't updated the website in a while, but here it is www.highhoballoons.com
  9. Mr. Bow Raker

Mr. Bow Raker LawnSite Member

Always try to get a decent backpacking trip in after Christmas.
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Drive, absorb, discuss, park, eat, drink, sleep, awake.