winter app after sod

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by dstifel, Oct 10, 2012.

1. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

I know not best timing to lay sod but it's the cards I was dealt. How long should I wait to put the winter application on?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If the sod was planted correctly, there was fert placed on the soil UNDER the sod... I like to use Milorganite...

In timing, how close was the sod laid down compared to the ground freezing up???

3. dstifel

Theres starter fertilizer underneath by recommendation of John deere landscape but still need to put winter app on correct?

4. Smallaxe

Depends on when the starter was placed... winterizer doesn't do much once the grass stops metabolizing N,,, which may be pretty soon for IA now... here in CentroWisco we've already got the winterizer in place and soon the need for fresh fertilizer will be over...

of course there are those who will dump ferts on frozen/near frozen turf and call that winterizer...
    Check this article out...
    http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-disease-updates/benefits-late-fall-fertilization

5. dstifel

We have had some cold nights but ground is far from frozen hitting upper 60s during huge day

6. Smallaxe

So when was it last fertilized and when is your grass going dormant? Off hand I would say that there is no need to fertilize now...

But there are factors that may indicate otherwise,,,
    did the sod go down in July?
    are you on sand and did all the N leach away becuz of too much water for the sod?

7. dstifel

Sod went down about two weeks ago

8. Smallaxe

Leave it alone then,,,

is it off of irrigation yet???
    I'd be more concerned that it isn't being waterlogged in this weather...

9. dstifel

Watering every other day for last week stopped them today

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Sod was fine if laid a couple weeks ago. Don't stop watering through. Keep going thru at least the end of the month. Things can still get deathly dry.