1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

winter blowout access

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by m4inc, Aug 24, 2005.

1. m4inc

m4inc LawnSite Member

Irrigation is a small portion of our business (25-30 installs per year) so we dont see alot of other peoples installs but year after year we get more service and blow outs from our cutomers friends ect. two systems we worked on this year had no access point and the systems have been blown out last fall.
    how do they do this?

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I don't recomend it, but you can blow through the downstream testcock on the backflow. Also, When all else fails, I pull a head and blow back through that zone to all the rest. Worst part of this as an option is making sure you actually get the water out of that zone your hooked to. I blow the system, then I manually cycle the air valve to make sure I don't have a pipe 1/2 full of water waiting for me to quit moving air. If I get a lot of water doing this, then sometimes I blow the rest of the system one more time to make sure I didn't push any water back into the main. I HATE fixing freeze damage. I HATE warranty freeze repair even more.

Also, sometimes a valve will not open w/ air (even w/ tweaks and tricks), so I hook into a head on that zone if I can to make sure that zone is blown clean.
  3. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

What I do is on the backflow 99% of them have a standard ¾ hose thread. I blow the lines out with 40 PSI thought that. Works fine for years.
  4. Mile High

Mile High LawnSite Member

Mr. Kansas started his reply by saying, "I don't reccommend it, but...". We've had repair issues in the spring with these types of closed systems so we don't blow them out, UNLESS, they pay us to get the problem fixed and the sprinkler system to code, with 1/4" valves that we can hook onto for blowing out the system. OR get the homeowner to sign a release of liabilty when you do the blowout so that they understand the issues.
  5. m4inc

m4inc LawnSite Member

thankx for the options!!!
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Another option is to shut off all the water to the house, and blow out the system through a sillcock, utilizing the house plumbing as an air pathway. You don't have to do this at a home more than once, because the system is obviously missing proper backflow prevention (unless it has individual atmospheric vacuum breakers) and the system will be upgraded next year to code compliance.
  7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Even if the 1/4" test c0ck is there, blowing through it isn't the best alternative. I've pulled a head to blow back through a zone on more than one occasion because the only access point I had was an old pvb test c0ck.

Roflmao, the language editor doesn't like the word test **** :)
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

testcock sillcock petcock peacock