winter blues

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by newleaflandscape, Nov 11, 2004.

1. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Its getting down to that time again unfortunately. I refuse to plow snow around here since every year it seems like just losing money since our local market is flooded and I just cant compete with the beer money prices. I was wondering if there are any of you that do anything else in the winter besides snow plowing. Any ideas would be aprreciated.
  2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Gutters (in & outside), pressure washing. ebay :)
  3. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Send out letters thanking your customers for a great season.

Tell them other services you provide during the winter.

Cleaning/Dump runs
    Handman stuff
  4. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

I'll drink to that. :D :drinkup: :D

Actually I run tile in the winter, do some site prep. weather permitting. Short day's and frozen fingers usually drop us down to 20 hrs/wk or so. I try and get some shop time in and pull the band-aid's off the equipment, do the repairs right.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Same here..we sold both our plow rigs in April this year. Had several HOAs getting "bids", if you call it that, at $ 55-85.00 for developments we were charging 175-200.00 for three years prior. Every redneck with a 4wd truck seems to have a plow around here.and this mentality---"..woo hoo, one parking lot in an hour for 25.00, golly gee, take that Wal Mart, I'm a makin' the big bucks now!!!"

I'll sit on my azz, play with my daughter,crunch numbers, service equip like active,play Xbox alot, and enjoy life a little more .Sorry I can't offer any real suggestions to you for income, I just squirrel away some extra nuts for winter so I don't have to worry. Maybe for next year, you could start an emergency fund, where you put 5-10% of your gross each month aside for winter, truck failures, etc..., and if you don't have any catastrophes before winter, use it as a winter "survival fund". We also do hardscapes until it gets too cold / frozen ground to work, and also do tree / shrub removals for prepping new beds / borders in the spring as well.
  6. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

I know a couple of guy's that make real money clearing snow. They only do commercial lot's, both have deal's set up with quarry's where they lease their loaders for the winter. They get a set price + $/ton of salt, from what I have seen this is the only way to make any real money off snow, at least in my area.

7. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I know what your saying about storing money away i learned that after my first year. I guess the thing that drives me nuts is just going gun ho all season and working crazy hours, and then just coming to a screeching hault. First week is all good because its relaxing but I just start feeling useless cleaning up the equipment and what not.
  8. shadybz

shadybz LawnSite Member

I prune all of our deciduous trees in the winter. It is the best time to do it, as far as the health of the trees that is. I go to condo complexes and prune all of their trees for extra money in the winter. Most lawn maintenance companies in my area only know how to cut grass! Beyond that, they are clueless
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Where I live there is a shortage of guys who plow in the winter. We get $200 an hour per vehicle for plowing and that includes our travel time between jobs. BTW, most of our work is residential.
  10. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a tree farm that needs a good solid month of work