1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winter Business???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, Aug 21, 2003.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Well, seeing mowing is mainly a summer business. What do the rest of you guys do in the winter. Seeing how I am in Texas, I can't clear any snow, or anything like that. What works, and what is too costly?
  2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I hunt coyotes and bobcats for ranchers and farmers.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

down here we mow lawns in winter. i dothem every week april-october, and every other november-march. 10 weeks to go
  4. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like lately every piece of landscape related material I get has an ad for installing Holiday lighting.Maybe this could work for you.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have thought about doing the lighting thing up here as well because our winters lately have been horrible for snow removal.

I just don't fell like forking over more money in start up costs to get that up and running
  6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I'm probably going to get a Blizzard plow for my truck, to keep my crewleader a little busy this winter.
    But mostly you could find me at snowmobile race track, where ever it may be.
  7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Ha, so the only thing to do is hang lights? Is flower bed prep, and tree trimming on evergreen trees a big thing?
  8. galagers

galagers LawnSite Member

Most of the guys around this part of texas string up lights and do all the decorations for the big houses in town, for me it's time to relax and enjoy the kids.
  9. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

me and a buddy of mine operate a deer processing plant,he runs till mid november,then i take over.COOL money in winter ......
  10. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

tree-trimming, installing shrubs, preparing flower beds, installing edging, all kinds of hardscaping, junk hauling, raking leaves, mulching leaves, demolition (old sheds in back yards), hauling compost, hauling dirt/sand, planting pansies (the only flower that has color in the winter), applying mulch, applying compost, gutter cleaning, fence repair, etc, etc.

It can be smart to look for this kind of stuff in customers yards and have lots of it lined up for the winter.

I would think mowing in Texas would be more of a spring/summer/fall thing with more time on than off....

Leaves can be a big thing. Even though most of them come down before Christmas, there are always more, and many people put off dealing with them so you can be doing leaf cleanups way into the spring.

Some people make enough in the summer to take the winter off. Other people have customers on contracts with year-round monthly payments. I try to stay busy year-round which seems to be happening more and more each year. But it is nice to take off on really cold days. If you are more full-service rather than mowing only, then people will keep you busy year-round.