winter depression

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by chopsticks33, Jan 24, 2006.

1. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

idk, it might just be me, but i get 'depressed' in the winter because theres nothing to in iowa its been in the 40's so if we get any snow we cant keep it. :rolleyes: i cant wait till spring when the grass starts to grow again! payup
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

SAD = Seasonal Affective Disorder
    What is Seasonal Affective Disorder?
    Some people suffer from symptoms of depression during the winter months, with symptoms subsiding during the spring and summer months. This may be a sign of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). SAD is a mood disorder associated with depression episodes and related to seasonal variations of light.

SAD was first noted before 1845, but was not officially named until the early 1980’s. As sunlight has affected the seasonal activities of animals (i.e., reproductive cycles and hibernation), SAD may be an effect of this seasonal light variation in humans. As seasons change, there is a shift in our “biological internal clocks” or circadian rhythm, due partly to these changes in sunlight patterns. This can cause our biological clocks to be out of “step” with our daily schedules. The most difficult months for SAD sufferers are January and February, and younger persons and women are at higher risk.
  3. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

i know about SAD, and thanks for lookin that up, but im not really depressed, i just with the stupid grass would grow :D
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya copsticks and dang windy today to!!! Just when it starts to dry out enough to possibly do some work it snows and or rains then it takes so doggone long to dry out. This winter is driving me nuts, I've lined up some part time work for next winter just to pass the time. Now hunting seasons over its really dragging. :waving:
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Here's my problem. In the winter, I will stay up all night and sleep all day. Which ends up depressing me further. Not to mention you can't get anything done during the night because everyone else is asleep. It got really bad for me last year.

It's been so slow here without snow I got a part time job to help keep my sleeping habits in check. Not sure if its going to work, but I at least get out of the house and have some kind of schedule.
  6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I hear ya. There's only so much you can do at the shop. We normally buy equipment and vehicles at auction during the summer, and work on them during the winter months. With all this rain, and like MTD said staying up all night there's just not all that much enthusiasm going on.
  7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm out of my rhythm, too.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

One thing about this winter, there has been plenty of sun and realitivly warm weather! What stinks is that there still isn't much to do outside.

With my free time this time of the year I never use it to my advantage. I should be going through all my receipts and adding everything up for taxes, should have had that done jan. 1! Need to be working on a new program for invoicing but I keep putting that off as well. Should be taking a trip to anywhere just to get away from here for a while! Thats still to come I think, but now I need to get tax stuff prepped and the appointment made, finish truck bed this weekend, take down some christmas lights I haven't been able to do because Ive been in an ankle brace for the last month.

I know my hours are messed up too, but not as bad as past winters. I may not go to bed till 12 or 1 am but I'm still up between 8 and 8:30 everyday. I just move slow and pretty quick Iv'e blown a couple hours and it's almost 11:00 am before I finally am ready to do anything productive.
  9. irishgoldcleanups

irishgoldcleanups LawnSite Member

i'm still advertising for cleanups & pickin up all the ones that other lco's said they could not do till spring
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im in the same boat as the rest of yall. We are getting some rain and by the time it is dry enough to get out and mulch flower beds it rains again. I have maybe 1 day of work in the shop to have the equipment serviced and ready to go for 2006. I spent all day yesterday entering mileage for 2005 on my mileage program. Today Im gonna itemize my reciepts out and enter them on a worksheet, then I should be ready for tax preparation. Ive had the problem with sleeping also, seems I wake up at night, then get up. Well by about 1pm It seems I need a nap till about 4pm. Its a bad habit, but im only taking a nap about 2 days a week now instead of the 5 I was.