1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winter doldrums

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Happens every year, except this year is worse. Worked off and on in december due to inclement weather. The slowest december in 3 years. Now customers are starting to call again. Still the work is sporadic. I just have that hibernation feeling at this time of year. I like consistancy when I am working. This 2 day a week thing is a pain in the azz. I am sore the next day from being out of shape and the little bit of money coming in is not very motivating. I have to load up the large bagger and ladder yada yada yada run across town for one or 2 jobs. BIg whup! Tired of doing leaves and gutters in the freezing cold. After december I usually have every customer finished up and am looking forward to spring. With just a few jobs to do its just ho hum take the phone off the hook time.
    I know some of you are having this problem too. You get to a job and they are alot of limbs to be picked up as well as the leaves and frozen gutters. I have a few jobs to do today(its alot warmer outside near 40) after doing one all week and friday is NOT the time i like to start the work week.. Well enough whining and procastinating.... LOL. Anyone else in a rut??
  2. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Charles,

What does LOL mean at the end of your Threads.
  3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

LOL means Laughing Out Loud.

Charles, I do know what you mean. We all go through our times of doldrums, particularly when things are slow and we begin to occupy ourselves with mundane things.

I have found this last year that one thing that helps me is to set aside those M-F 8:00-5:00 hours as work time, specifically. Even when things are cold and rainy, or growth is slow I try to use that time for things like web page work, equipment maintenance, business research, et. al. That way I stay in 'business' mode and am better ready when those calls come in. Trying to stay focused seems to help.

I know it's hard, 'cuz this time of year is play-time, but you've still got your weekends, evenings, and holidays. :)

4. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

great advice TG.

Charles how bout a vacation?

Getting away helps to get mind of things ,then when you get back with more energy it will be time to get to work again.

5. Charles

Thanks for the advice TGC, Bdemir. Greenfinger the internet uses alot of shorthand stuff.
  6. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I'll load up the Dane and be down in the morning. No joke. You could subcontract to me and kick back. I'm about to loose it being indoors
  7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Hey Charles, you should move to Seattle, it's 50 something and POA is starting up. I think it's almost time for LIQUID IRON! Spring is a comin' early- I'm getting the reel ground.
  8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Been there, done that. I feel for you guys in the north. Cabin fever sucks. It's been chilly in the mornings here but it usually warms to 60 -70 deg.#1 reason we moved south. WEATHER!
  9. Charles

I think it has more to do with seasonal affective disorder(SAD). All the holidays, sun slanting, routine disruption. I seem to perk up around the middle of february when the sun begins get higher up in the sky. Every winter I say i am going to do this and that and never do anything most year. A couple of times i travelled across the country and stayed for awhile. But that didn't improve anything. Time does fly this time of year though.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

In all seriousness, talk to a Doc and maybe he can give you an Rx for SAD. It is a fact that people have this and it doesn't mean that you are crazy. Give it a try you will be surprised. Good Luck.