Winter ending

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by zak406, Feb 26, 2013.

1. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in pa and as I have seen in past years, the birds (robins) have returned.... I went out at 7 this morning to the surprise of birds chirping.... I think it's safe to say winter is on the way out and I hope to cutting at the beggining of April!!:usflag:

2. 290

290 LawnSite Member

...im looking down the barrel of up to a foot of snow this evening.

3. GARRETTWOOD

GARRETTWOOD LawnSite Senior Member

Here in NE PA haven't seen any robins yet, but I have had the black birds on the crabapple tree. Its got to be close I hope? ???????????
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it will be a early Spring like it was last year. This winter is a lot wetter than last year. The weeds are growing pretty good. Long term forecast for March doesn't look too promising, but that can change overnight as we all know:rolleyes:

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Zak same here things are improving mid march we roll out:waving:

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

15" on Sun, 1-7" more coming tomorrow along with rain.

I agree with Charles I think we'll be Lucky to be ready for mowing April 1 but things change from week to week so I hope you're right.... I hope winter is at an end.

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I was cutting last year at this at this time. I had a great March, this March is not looking good for us lawn guys.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Same here. We had days in the upper 70s and low 80s in February of last year. Last March was great. We will be lucky to get out of the 30s today if it stays cloudy. Warm season grasses will probably snooze until April if this keeps up:cry:
    We have been spoiled the last 5 years or so

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Its supposed to be cold for at least the next 10 days, so were looking about 6 weeks before the season gets busy. Im running out of winter time dollars.

10. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

i think we will be mowing 3rd week of march with a partial schedule. full schedule beginning of april