1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winter Equipment Up Keep

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SDNCLAWNCARE, Nov 15, 2007.

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

What do you guys do for your equipment before the Winter weather sets in? Do you treat your fuel? Pull Filters, Plugs, etc. This is my first year and I'm getting ready to put the equipment up for the year.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I do nothing other than crank it from time to time....

Being in Texas we only have about 2 months of winter
  3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Drain fuel from tank, then run mower so it can burn what ever gas is left in the carb. Wait till spring to change plugs and filters.
  4. pbdlandscaping

pbdlandscaping LawnSite Member

I do what Albery does, so much easier and cheaper. never had a problem in the spring
  5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

We gas up all the equipment and add in a fuel stabilizer, let everthing run for several minutes and it's ready for winter storage. In early spring all plugs, filters and oils get replaced.
  6. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to change your oil so you don't have all the toxins and other garbage sitting around. Better to get it ready for winter with new oil...
  7. grassrangers

grassrangers LawnSite Member

well in south louisiana we pretty much cut almost all year long...we really dont know what winter is down here. I'll just go and crank it a few times a week if its not getting used... everything seems to run fine by doing that.
  8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Fill with fuel...add stabilizer...then while running fog the motor with marvel myster or sim until it dies. The most through way.
  9. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

why wait til spring to pull the plugs?? anything wrong with changing them now? will they rust?
  10. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

It's all sixes....some do all of their maintenance in the fall while others wait until spring, the biggest thing is just making sure it gets done.