Winter $income?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rowdyz92, Sep 4, 2012.

1. rowdyz92

rowdyz92 LawnSite Member

Hi, im looking into buying a 48 - 54 zero turn, leaf vacuum, weed eaters, edgers, blowers etc. My question is since I live in central virginia and there are 2-3 months of cold weather and no lawn mowing how does one keep a steady income during those months? Do most guys just survive getting up leaves or snow blowing driveways? I dont wanna jump into commercial mowing and then realize I cant make any money in the winter.

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Snow is tricky. Last year I went out once did 4 driveways.

Year before 10 times. 4 times I had a full days work cleaning up.

So for me snow is bonus money that you can't count on.

Some people to christmas decorations, I won't.

I'll do some handy man work.

Thing is you need to work 10 hr days warm 6 months of the year to help carry your through the cold 6 months

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Its really hard to find work in the winter, its a killer for me. Fortinuately its been busy this summer so that helps.

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Plowing snow is tricky! Last year I went out twice to plow snow. You never know how winter is going to turn out, you can only pray that your area get alot of snow. But when it does snow you can make a lot of money!

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Save up enough money to get yourself through the winter without snow. Mix seasonal contracts with per push contracts so if it doesn't snow you still have income but if it snows a lot you make good money. It's not that hard once you build enough clientele. Getting to that point can be difficult.

6. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

On a personal note. I pay all and I do mean all my utility bills including the phone for one year by July 4th each year. I find the highest utility bill over the last year and multiply it by twelve and pay it no matter how bad I want to buy the next big thing that will help my business.

7. H & M Yard Improvements

H & M Yard Improvements LawnSite Member

Most of us do Snow removal in the winter. The only problem with snow is that you cant rely on it to snow on a regular basis unless youre an eskimo lol. Unfortunately for you it doesnt snow that much in VA. Some of us will do christmas decorations, and as seen above, some will do handyman stuff. Best thing i think to do is price and budget everything during the growing/ leaf clean up season the best you can to have a little extra padding for the offseason.

8. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

I do snow removal also. Last year was terrible and ran through all my savings to get through winter. I was miserable lol. This year I'm trying to save more and pray for more snow. Getting a winter part time job if you have connections is a good idea. Other than that if you know any other trades your gonna be slow. Maybe you should keep a job through the winter to protect your self after all your new investments, Good luck.

9. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

i always look to these threads for advice. Im in georgia. no snow for me! i am always thinking about winter time. i HATE it

10. T Scapes

T Scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

i never count on snow. I have money saved to get me through the winter. Sometimes we get some real bad rain storms so ive gotten tree work from that but its mainly just odd jobs. Snow to me is just extra money but if you get a good winter like we had in 2009-2010 you can make a lot of money