Winter is here.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GroundScapesIncorporated, Jan 29, 2007.

1. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Well winter has finally arrived.
    It is about twelve degrees out this am.
    We are supposed to be starting a wall today, Tempature was in the sixtys on Sat while we were excavating. Dont look like we will get a base in today as the high is supposed to be in the twentys.
    Has the weather got any body else held back?

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

yep. I need to glue some caps on a wall in order to get final payment and its been too cold to do it.

3. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

You should be happy to still be able to work this time of year. My season was Extended into the first week of Dec. this year. Won't see the grass again til mid April. :cry:

4. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

Your weather is insane, but so is your market, Its kinda a toss up right? The market in Canada is unbelievable from what I hear.

5. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

My guys are actually building a fire in our sub base to get it prepared (thawed) to build.

6. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Frost is about a foot thick here. I have a 300+ft Redi Rock wall to build and about 2000 sq. ft. of pavers to put down, but it is going to have to wait until we get the "thaw". Taking the month and working on equipment and the house. There are always "projects" to do.
    David

7. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke LawnSite Member

Yeah if its going to be cold around here at least it could snow more than 2" at a time. If I cant work at least I could be plowing

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just finished a cornerstone wall and just placed the caps out so wall would look descent. What temp. do i need to glue caps. I never glue the allen block caps due to there lip system. I told my customer i would be back when it warmed up. She had no problem with that. I use the waterproof nail power. I used it before and had to chisel the cap off and it actually tore a hunk out of the cap.
    Mike

9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Winter is here but were not having any snow this year

10. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

We're getting about one inch at a time, but it is cold enough to not need an indoor freezer around here. I just came in from starting the truck, and I swear my whole face is frozen. I'm sure zedosix knows precisely what I'm talking about.