Winter Jobs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BeautifulBlooms, Nov 23, 2005.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering for those in the Northern Climate with about 3 months of lay off from landscaping, what creative things (BESIDES SNOW PLOWING) have you thought of for your business? I am thinking of targetting my customers with a mass email about winter pruning. It's the best time of year to prune, we have the time to do it, and I really don't want to go without any income for 3 months.

Anyone have any other ideas, for things to provide existing customers? With the pruning, what's the best way to approach the job in terms of getting multiple jobs? Should I just send emails to my existing customers and past customers, or should I go out and pound the pavement a little bit? Just wondering if anyone had experience, if maybe I would be wasting my time or money advertising (EXCEPT EMAIL IS FREE).

Mike Harrington

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

emails or postcards will work fine, you will get some work.... Good luck

Also, other ideas for winter work

Hauling junk, Firewood, Insulation blowing, stone or brick mail box construction, christmas lights(better be on the up and up for this one) carpet cleaning etc....

3. LawnscapeMN

LawnscapeMN LawnSite Member

I use the winter to sell stuff on ebay. I can clear $1000/week if I work regular hours. I have done it during summer time also, but I have less time then. I can sell vehicles for people and charge 10% and make a killing, and I don't need a dealers license because "they" are selling the car/truck. Also, I spend alot of time attending auctions and buying up equipment for business use and for resale.

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I do the same thing as every other day of the year. I go to work and run the company.

5. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I do some (mostly interior) home maintenance such as painting and minor repairs. But I don't promote it much.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure what your capability's are but from reading all your posts and threads I would think that 'Interior plant design" would be a place to look into.
    Do you have any Handyman skills. I run a division that does that all year.
    I also buy at least one house to rehab each winter to keep guys busy and inside.

7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

If someone was trimming my shrubs in the middle of winter I would think they were nuts:)

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

How's the plowing been up there this past two weeks? We've already had 3 snow events since Halloween, and it's still snowing here today. I bet Rod's guys are pushing some snow $$$ now in Jersey.I'm ready to take a break after holiday lighting is done..lol. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm going back to sleep............