winter jobs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grassguy123, Nov 13, 2006.

1. grassguy123

grassguy123 LawnSite Member

durring the winter months what do you guys do for work besides snow plowing...i have vending machines, I cater parties for a friends itallian restaurant, and ive done a number of small things to bring in extra money....what does everyone else do...give me ideas...at home work?...idk whatever...loan sharking?j/k

2. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well besides snowplowing, i'm probably gonna start part-time workin at my John Deere dealer this winter. This should be fun......:)

3. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year so, this will be my first winter. I have a friend that I'm going to work for over the winter. I will also be doing some snow removal with my snow blower.

Grassguy123, I was wondering about the vending business. Is it profitable? How many and what type of machines do you have?

Thanks

4. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Here we do Shrink Wrapping Services of boats and anything else that needs to be protected from the winter months. This holds us through until February in March - Its time to concentrate on the getting ready for the new season

5. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

if the weather is above 35 degrees parking lots can be striped. i work for a company and we pretty much work yearound. after im out of school this year i plan on welding partime in the winter

6. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

winter watch and snow removal from roofs. I really like robbing banks

7. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

I rob the safe deposit boxes of my dead-beat customers from the past season!

8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Last year I was a valet at the airport. I didn't make much but I got to drive some really sweet cars including the fastest car I have ever driven in my life. The guy threw me the keys and said "it has a radar detector, have fun!" It was a souped up CL65 Benz with a W12 Twin Turbo. I almost shat myself when I floored it.
    I don't know what I will do this year, but I wanted to ask about the vending business, how many machines do you have, and how well do you do?

9. Valerie36

Valerie36 LawnSite Member

The nice thing about being in sunny CA, is we plant rye grass, so we keep mowing most the winter.

What's Snow? Ha Ha

V

10. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Variety of Home Improvements